SOLVED: Building installer using source is not working VS2017

Hi, I am trying to build using the build-msi.bat however I am getting an error. I have tried both cmd and vs 2017 dev cmd.

I’m sure its something I am doing, any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: problem fixed when i installed wix tools vs extension
error

The system cannot find the file specified.
Could Not Find C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\Duplicati.msi
Could Not Find C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\Duplicati-32bit.msi
'"vsvars32.bat"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

7-Zip 18.01 (x64) : Copyright (c) 1999-2018 Igor Pavlov : 2018-01-28

Scanning the drive for archives:
1 file, 16381982 bytes (16 MiB)

Extracting archive: package.zip
--
Path = package.zip
Type = zip
Physical Size = 16381982

Everything is Ok

Folders: 43
Files: 624
Size:       58771797
Compressed: 16381982
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 15.5.180.51428 for .NET Framework
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Building the projects in this solution one at a time. To enable parallel build, please add the "/m" switch.
Build started 01/03/2018 14:26:06.
Project "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.sln" on node 1 (defa
ult targets).
ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
  Building solution configuration "Release|x64".
Project "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.sln" (1) is building
 "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixproj" (2) on node 1 (def
ault targets).
C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixproj(72,3): error MSB4019:
 The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.ta
rgets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
Done Building Project "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixpro
j" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Done Building Project "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.sln" (
default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixproj" (default target) (2
) ->
  C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixproj(72,3): error MSB401
9: The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.
targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

0 Warning(s)
    1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.42
The system cannot find the path specified.
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 15.5.180.51428 for .NET Framework
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Building the projects in this solution one at a time. To enable parallel build, please add the "/m" switch.
Build started 01/03/2018 14:26:07.
Project "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.sln" on node 1 (defa
ult targets).
ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
  Building solution configuration "Release|x86".
Project "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.sln" (1) is building
 "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixproj" (2) on node 1 (def
ault targets).
C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixproj(72,3): error MSB4019:
 The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.ta
rgets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
Done Building Project "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixpro
j" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Done Building Project "C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.sln" (
default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixproj" (default target) (2
) ->
  C:\Users\richa\Downloads\duplicati-master\duplicati-master\Installer\Windows\WixInstaller.wixproj(72,3): error MSB401
9: The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.
targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

0 Warning(s)
    1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.42
The system cannot find the path specified.
1 Like

Glad you got it working!

(I don’t know if you’re developing or just want to build your own copy, but but I went ahead and moved this to the “Developer” category - I hope you don’t mind.)

Thanks, I don’t mind at all