Scp vs sftp storage type

Hi,

I would like to use a drive attached to my wireless router (Asus RT-AC87U) as remote destination to Duplicati. The router supports ssh login. I can connect and copy files to an attached drive using WinSCP, but Duplicati supports only SFTP (not SCP) and I cannot login to the destination.

Upon testing the connection, the error received is: “Failed to connect: Channel was closed.”
Is there any way to solve this issue?
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards, David

The Asus manual doesn’t even talk about SCP, though it does talk about FTP. Possibly Asus added this later, or are you running third-party software such as Asuswrt-Merlin? If you’re adding packages, this may get you SFTP. SMB might also be an option, although SMBv1 is insecure and tends to be disabled on the newer Windows 10s.

I’m not sure why Duplicati doesn’t do SCP. It looks like SSH.NET does it. Maybe destinations usually have both?

Thank you for your answer. I am running the latest firmware from Asus RT-AC87U. It supports login via ssh. I tested it to copy files using WinSCP and it works. The problem is SFTP that appears to be different than SCP.

I could set up a samba server, but as you also said I consider it unsecure to run on the wireless router.

I’m not sure why Duplicati doesn’t do SCP. It looks like SSH.NET does it. Maybe destinations usually have both?

From Duplicati, I can only choose SFTP, not SCP. Perhaps this could be implemented in the next release?

Sounds like Asus added things to their original firmware. Is it possible they added a newer SMB version too?

The wireless router might be fairly secure if your encryption is set up right. Remember, Duplicati can encrypt, which is good because many times a backup goes over an Internet which is likely less secure than your LAN.

SFTP is definitely different than SCP, although they both run over SSH, so they sometimes show up together. Another in the alphabet-soup series is FTPS which is different (no SSH base). Duplicati looks like it can do it.

Duplicati has a long line of things to implement, including enough reliability and polishing to get it out of Beta.
You can make a request as a topic in the Features (not Support) category, but demand for SCP seems low…