Running Duplicati beta in Manjaro

So I followed guides and online help but Duplicati refuses I guess to run as a service via root. When launching the duplicati instance I do not have access to /home/tech as an option to backup.

I have attempted to run the service as root:
sudo systemctl start duplicati

systemctl enable duplicati.service

it creates a sym link from what I recall and all. I can navigate to local host as well - it honestly just doesn’t see my home folder (sees it but it has a padlock and says it doesn’t have permission).

I installed it with the arch repo - that went fine from what I can tell as well. I didn’t install the beta as that was a lower revision number as well.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/duplicati-latest/

So did all this get handled by our Installing Duplicati on Linux (Arch / Manjaro) item?

If not (or if you’re just looking for a USB solution) maybe we should change the topic title or open a new one.

Hey @JonMikelV, I didn’t pursue this any further as it isn’t a built in feature to Duplicati and I haven’t explored this matter further. However, I feel that it is a project I wouldn’t mind tackling with a bit of time help from the community.

Title change and input from the community and we might just make this a feature request? Thoughts? I understand it might not be a priority but hey something might come of it. Feel free to change the title accordingly.

Before we fully push it out there, I’m curious how you see it working.

Let’s assume we’ve figured out how to detect the USB drive has been inserted - then what?

Does a backup automatically start? If so, how do you see that bring configured in the GUI?

Assuming there’s a “run when destination detected” option in the GUI and that starts the backup, what happens next? If the drive is never removed & re-inserted no more backups will run unless there’s also a schedule.

So should we still require a schedule and if the drive isn’t mounted at the scheduled time reschedule for a minute later (meaning queued after next backup if another job was already scheduled then)?

Normally a warning is thrown / backup fails if destination isn’t available - I assume that would have to be suppressed with my above process. How much risk does that add in the sense of no backups for as long as a drive is NOT inserted?

Note that I’m not trying to discourage, just hoping to have a design that makes sense before time is spent coding. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply and you totally raise some good points for sure. I definitely see the difficulty with that for sure with the technicalities. What IF, there were a way to detect when the USB device was plugged in and prompt for a backup job? One-time kind of idea? Almost like hey I noticed that you plugged in a usb device, can we help backup your system this one time? Perhaps it gets messy.

I just thought that there might be validity to helping users backup their system to a usb device if let’s say their other backups are working but they want be extra sure on this day etc.

If you have an idea, the feature request @JonMikelV pointed to earlier would be a good place to discuss. Someone there already uses a Windows event to start the backup when a drive is plugged in, however the perfect solution would be cross-platform, and some web search makes me think this might be OS-specific… Windows methods might use WMI. Linux/mono can’t do WMI, but they might have udev, dbus, and systemd.

Even if nobody can get together enough desire/energy/skill to lay code, a forum How-To is always possible.

It’s a fine idea, but there are lots of ideas in the queue waiting for resources fully consumed on other things. New features often get developed because someone with motivation and skill steps up and gets thing going. That usually causes much excitement, discussion, and suggestions for the person who volunteered to work.

Yeah I am on a Linux box for my main rig at home so the Windows idea works for my work system sure. I totally get that for sure with the amount of resources. I have a persistent issue with the updates/install, I’ll post it later today.