Restore fails with "Could not load file or assembly [...]"

Esteemed Community,

I installed Duplicati 2.0.6.104_canary_2022-06-15 from the scoop bucket versions and later manually the latest beta from the website, 2.0.6.3_beta_2021-06-17, however trying to restore from the GUI, while Getting file versions the process fails with

Could not load file or assembly ‘FasterHashing, Version=1.1.2.23404, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=65ca7d3f764f480a’ or one of its dependencies. Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)

My machine is running Windows 11 22H2. Is there a known workaround for this or similar issues from previous years?

Welcome to the forum @rubisco57

I don’t know scoop. Does it just do a regular install such as your (presumed) .msi install of 2.0.6.3?
Regardless, Google search for “Could not load file or assembly ‘FasterHashing” found the following

Backups fail after update to October 20 canary - missing lib?

which got kind of deep in ideas, wasn’t too conclusive, but I think uninstalls/reinstalls had some luck.
You could try program uninstall (not just an install-over), get C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2 very empty,
repeat install from .msi, see if it helps. Before you go, look at About → System info. What’s release?
ServerVersionName is the one you’re running. The BaseVersionName will make more sense shortly.

Had backups been working? This would seem odd, as hashing is used all over the place with Duplicati.
The HRESULT error code (Google suggests) may mean file corruption, but you only see it in one .dll.
Duplicati does not hash-check its Program Files version. It does insist on its autoupdates staying good.
The autoupdate installs to a different folder. When one exists, the Program Files one is just its launcher.

Downgrading / reverting to a lower version