Repeating soft error

I had my NAS shut down suddenly, possibly in the middle of Duplicati running on a laptop connected to the NAS.

Ever since then, most of my backups have completed with soft errors/warnings. Prior to this, I’ve never had any errors or warnings using Duplicati.

Here are a few samples from the log:

2023-09-13 21:57:43 -04 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.DynamicLoader.DynamicLoader`1-SoftError]: Failed to load process type System.Reactive.Concurrency.DispatcherScheduler assembly /home/sylerner/.config/Duplicati/updates/2.0.7.2/System.Reactive.dll, error message: Could not load type of field ‘System.Reactive.Concurrency.DispatcherScheduler:k__BackingField’ (0) due to: Could not load file or assembly ‘WindowsBase, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’ or one of its dependencies.

2023-09-25 23:45:50 -04 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.DynamicLoader.DynamicLoader`1-SoftError]: Failed to load process type System.Reactive.Concurrency.DispatcherScheduler assembly /home/sylerner/.config/Duplicati/updates/2.0.7.2/System.Reactive.dll, error message: Could not load type of field ‘System.Reactive.Concurrency.DispatcherScheduler:k__BackingField’ (0) due to: Could not load file or assembly ‘WindowsBase, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’ or one of its dependencies.

2023-09-28 13:00:00 -04 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.DynamicLoader.DynamicLoader`1-SoftError]: Failed to load process type System.Reactive.Concurrency.DispatcherScheduler assembly /home/sylerner/.config/Duplicati/updates/2.0.7.2/System.Reactive.dll, error message: Could not load type of field ‘System.Reactive.Concurrency.DispatcherScheduler:k__BackingField’ (0) due to: Could not load file or assembly ‘WindowsBase, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’ or one of its dependencies.

My questions are:

1. What is the significance of these soft errors/warnings?
  2. Is this an indication of Duplicati’s data being corrupted or inconsistent?
  3. Is there a way that I can do a full validation of the integrity of my backup data?
  4. Since I don’t have anything in the backup set that isn’t still on my laptop, should I play it safe and wipe the current backup data and start over?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I think (I’ll not risk life or limb on betting on it but at 99% probability yes) that this an update problem, that is, you did not notice it before having a crash because you did not look very hard, but it was here since the last update, and the crash itself has no relation (unless it corrupted some system data on your computer, that would be the 1%). Now why you have it is unclear, giving some information on your setup would be welcome (do you use Windows ? if yes, which version, if not, what kind of system and do you have the latest (6.12) Mono version installed ?)
edit silly question, you do not use Windows.

no, see above.

yes, perform a ‘test’ command from the command line capability, specify full-remote-verification and full-block-verification as advanced parameters and give ‘all’ as main parameter (replace the backup paths by ‘all’). Warning, if your backup is large this can be very long. As in, more than half a day for a greater than a Terabyte backup, depending on the number of files also. Note that if you encounter errors, some may be relatively harmless, but if you don’t see any all is clear.
If you are doing backups since a long time this is very much recommended anyway because Duplicati is beta software.

I don’t think so, but if your backup is tiny (let’s say <20 GB) it don’t matter much anyway.

FWIW (but don’t ask me to explain exactly what’s going on), these have similar message:

Warning: Could not load file or assembly WindowsBase, Version=4.0.0.0
110 canary, multiple sources not supported (?)

I think both suggested installing mono-complete, and at least one report said that it works.

FWIW - the error report was very obvious and I always check the logs whenever there are any warnings or errors.

I’ll run the test ASAP.

I am not familiar with the CLI for duplicati. Could you please give me the full line that I should be entering?

My environment: Duplicati - 2.0.7.2_canary_2023-05-25. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, mono 6.12.0-5.4. 16 GB ram. My backup set is 167 GB.

there is no command line to enter, the command line environment is integrated to the Web UI

you click ‘Commandline’

then you select ‘test’ in the Command list, you replace the path(s) included in the box next to Commandline arguments by ‘all’, then you scroll down to add the advanced options and finally you click the "Run test command now’ button.