Repeated "Delete operation failed" due to file not found

Let me start by saying I understand I should be able to resolve this issue by doing a database repair. I’m posting this because I think a repair should not be necessary and am hoping somebody can explain to me why it is.

After changing my retention policy a bunch of destination files were cleaned up as they should be, however something went wrong when recording it in the local database. So now when the back runs it finishes just fine (so backups are working) but tosses out 48 sets of messages / warnings similar to the one below.

My question is, even though the delete technically failed shouldn’t we just treat it like it succeeded since the reason was that the file didn’t exist in the first place?

removing remote file listed as Deleting: duplicati-b30479d8d2af646fbad76f4a80a704919.dblock.7z.aes,
    Listing indicates file duplicati-b30479d8d2af646fbad76f4a80a704919.dblock.7z.aes is deleted correctly,
Warnings: [
     Delete operation failed for duplicati-b30479d8d2af646fbad76f4a80a704919.dblock.7z.aes with FileNotFound, listing contents => The requested file does not exist,

"missing files" error after switching to custom retention policy