Repair fails, database recreate takes a ridiculously long time

Do you happen to still have the original error?

The most recent one from after the first attempt at repair is still in the log:

Duplicati.Library.Interface.UserInformationException: Found 1 files that are missing from the remote storage, please run repair at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.VerifyRemoteList(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile) at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PreBackupVerify(BackendManager backend, String protectedfile) at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String[] sources, IFilter filter) at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<Backup>b__0(BackupResults result) at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String[]& paths, IFilter& filter, Action 1 method) at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String[] inputsources, IFilter filter) at Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)

The earlier one that got me started repairing differs only in that it said 3 files, not 1.

consider using the newish --retention-policy parameter

I’m on 2.0.2.1 which still seems to be the version available for mainstream download (I originally installed it in August).

I can’t see any evidence of an advanced setting called that. I would always want to keep at least two versions of any file, maybe 3, but I certainly don’t need more than that. (I would much rather base this on versions than time).