Release: 2.0.8.1 (beta) 2024-05-07

Actually that particular one looks a bit odd, but the lead developer might be personally testing something. Currently, the latest external releases are 2.0.8.1 Beta and 2.0.8.108 Debug, and show those in Default:

I’m kind of doubting that the suggestion of using Settings to wait for eventual Stable will work in 2.0.8.1. Maybe there’s something cooking, or maybe you have to wait for more stability, and an announcement.

Another point that is simpler compared to Debian is that parallel maintenance is very rare. For example,
About → Changlog or https://github.com/duplicati/duplicati/releases shows the continuous flow towards Stable. After a Beta is released, Canary releases happen, for willing testers of something hot off a build.

Experimental is (IMO) a bit of a misnomer, as it’s a Canary proven well enough to be a Beta pre-release helping for example to ensure through testing that the slower Experimental/Beta channel updates is OK.

Experimental is literally a Canary that is felt stable enough to relabel, and Beta is Experimental after test.
This might change at some point, e.g. after first Stable, or if a big organization allows a different method.

Currently Duplicati usually does repetitions of Canary/Experimental/Beta. Recently Debug has come out beneath Canary for the bravest testers. It’s off the channel display on the risk scale, and Stable is off too.

Perhaps the Settings display needs an update to show current use, and order channel risks ascendingly.

Yes, it was just what I had running at the time :slight_smile:

It would achieve what is being asked for: no more notifications until the stable release.
I can on the update server logs that a number of user has this set up.

Technically, when choosing the stable channel, it will then check for a file that does not yet exist.
Once the stable is released, I can create that file and users will be notified.

There is no button to do it. I can force other Settings Default with environment variable:

AUTOUPDATER_Duplicati_CHANNEL - Choose different channel than the default Beta, valid settings: Stable,Beta,Experimental,Canary,Nightly,Debug

I’m actually testing 2.0.7.1 to also test for a 2.0.8.1.

Beta gets popup: New update found: 2.0.8.1_beta_2024-05-07
Stable gets server log: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
Debug gets server log: System.IO.InvalidDataException: Unable to verify signature

so while I suspect this will silence notices before Stable, I’m not sure it will spot Stable when it comes out.

Ok, that is a flaw then. I guess it has been overlooked because there has been no stable release.

I’m running Duplicati - 2.0.6.1_beta_2021-05-03 (Windows). When I check for updates via my Duplicati web page (About), it says 2.0.7.1_beta_2023-05-25 is available. Why wouldn’t it show 2.0.8.1_beta_2024-05-07 as available? Do I need to update to 2.0.7.1 prior to 2.0.8.1?

Is downloading and running the new installation file preferable (safer) than running the update via a web browser?

Thanks

Not a safety issue, as far as I know, however it’s probably more certain, regardless of things going wrong.

I doubt it. It sees 2.0.8.1 even if I test from 2.0.5.1.

C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\duplicati-2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18>Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater list
 * 2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18 (2.0.5.1)
C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\duplicati-2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18>Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater check
New version is available: 2.0.8.1_beta_2024-05-07

You could do a similar test, except your Duplicati probably starts from C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2
Maybe you’re not on Windows. If not, what are you on, and are you behind firewalls, etc. that might block?
I did try looking at the alternate update site. I’m not the expert, but so far I can’t explain the results you see.

EDIT 1:

Do you see any updater warnings or errors in About → Show log → Stored?

EDIT 2:

This release was soon superseded as 2.0.6.x Beta by 2.0.6.3_beta_2021-06-17, and Duplicati should have been notifying you automatically of that since around then. Later it would move to 2.0.7.1_beta_2023-05-25, and then 2.0.8.1_beta_2024-05-07. Is this what you were seeing, but you chose to stay on 2.0.6.1 release?

Thanks for the response. Running Windows 7. Disabled firewall. I did get notifications about previous updates, but didn’t want to break something as my backup system works. Now I feel like the version I’m running is so old that it would be worth upgrading.

Here is the command line check running as Administrator. My path is a little different from yours.

C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates\2.0.6.1>duplicati.library.autoupdater list

• 2.0.6.1_beta_2021-05-03 (2.0.6.1)

C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates\2.0.6.1>duplicati.library.autoupdater check
Error detected: System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadFile(Uri address, String fileName)
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.CheckForUpdate(ReleaseType channel)
Error detected: System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadFile(Uri address, String fileName)
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.CheckForUpdate(ReleaseType channel)
No updates found

C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates\2.0.6.1>

So it is having an issue.

Here is the about screen showing a previous version available:

Image 2

Here is the About → Show log → Stored:

Thanks again for your help.

https://updates.duplicati.com requires at least TLS 1.2, as earlier versions have security problems.
If I recall corrctly, the previous updates host was more forgiving (and got dinged by security scans).
You could try the above link in Internet Explorer to see if fails too. Windows 7 defaults to no TLS 1.2.

Enabling TLS 1.2 on Windows 7 are some third party directions that link to some old Microsoft data.

Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020 so you’re living dangerously, and ought to get off it…
You’re not getting security updates from Microsoft now, so there’s no telling what bad stuff will get in.

If you really want to stay with it, you could visit Duplicati Downloads.to run an .msi installer manually.

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve tested new beta on windows server 2019 with backup to Azure Blob. Backup and restore working perfect.

1 Like

What are the system requirements for macOS?
It seems to me that 2.0.8.1_beta and 2.0.7.1_beta are incompatible with macOS 10.14.6.

I am not aware of any limitation on the MacOS version. As long as Mono runs, the small Tray-Icon launcher program should also run. Do you see any errors that indicates it is a version limitation?

I am aware that due to the upgrade to Python3 you need some extra steps to get it working. I am working on the next release, which does not rely on Python.

macOS in Installation is less detailed than I would like, but mentions some needs beyond mono:

To use the tray icon, you currently have to install python3 (you can check that by running /usr/bin/python3) and add pyobjc by hand from a terminal:

sudo pip3 install pyobjc
1 Like

The last version I am able to run on Mac mini with macOS 10.14.6, Mono 6.12.0.122 and Python 2.7.18 is Duplicati 2.0.6.1_beta_2021-05-03.

When I try to install Duplicati 2.0.8.1_beta or 2.0.7.1_beta as a fresh download, they app icon is crossed out (see screenshot), which indicates that the app is doing a version check and blocking the install.

The Python 2.7.18 version is the one that came with the macOS. As you know macOS since Monterey dropped Python. I also have a custom Python 3.11.6 installation that came with my home automation software Indigo.

Does Duplicati now need Python 3?
Great news that future versions of Duplicati no longer need Python and Mono.

2.0.6.106_canary_2023-05-03

updates rumps to python3, add icon normal-warning, set rumps as default,
thanks @gpatel-fr

so in Beta terms, tray icon has needed Python 3 since 2.0.7.1_beta_2023-05-25.

Python 2 reached end of life at the start of 2020. I’m not sure how long it can last.
Regardless, the decision was made to convert the script and have people grab 3.

I don’t have a Mac, so I’ll refer you to a Mac expert to interpret that posted image.

I found a commit that explains it:

In here the tiny native launcher is updated due to Apple dropping support for building with an older target. This means that the current release requires MacOS 11+ (Big Sur), which matches your findings.

Python was used as a way to get the tray icon up through RUMPS because the ObjC and UI toolkits were hard to work with from C#. As MacOS then dropped Python (plus py2 → py3) this made it problematic.

The current canary builds are using AvaloniaUI, which requires MacOS 10.13 so it should work on 10.14, no additional libraries needed.

Thank you, this explains all.

Looks like the latest canary builds are a big step forward. Can’t wait for the stable beta. Do those new canary builds run native on Apple Silicon?

Yes! Even Windows Arm64 is supported :slight_smile: