Really Low Backup Speeds

I am experiencing VERY slow backup speeds. I am backing up to the cloud and am seeing speeds that never surpass 1.5 MB/Sec. When backing up 100s of GB of data you can imagine how slow this is.

A speed test on my system shows that I am testing upload speeds over 10 MB/sec. I have no throttle set on my system nor in the Duplicati software.

Is there any reason why I am seeing such a low speed?

Thanks,

Can you post some details of your backup job?

Was that converting bits to bytes? The top 5 ā€œinternet speed testā€ sites Google found for me all use Mb/sec, where lowercase b is a bit. Uppercase B is a byte (8 bits). Duplicati reports bytes. 1.5 MB/sec is 12 Mb/sec which would be a little surprising because Duplicati usually canā€™t quite match a multi-threaded speed testā€¦

1 Like

Well, its been running for 22 hours and has backup up only 11 GB worth of my data in that time. Still has 117 GB to go. Iā€™m getting 380 KB/s right now.

Not sure what you mean. Is there a config file or something I can post for you?

Your long-term stats show about 1 Mbit/sec and your short-term about 3 Mbit/sec, neither of which are 10 Mbit/sec (which is usually an unrealistic best-case measurement using multiple threads, often to nearby).

Next step is for you to search for a speed limiter which might be things like disk, RAM, CPU, network, etc. Perhaps something will be found. Perhaps nothing specific will be found. Specific reasons require dataā€¦

What OS is this? Windows has some tools, Linux tools vary, and Iā€™m not at all familiar with macOS tools.

What cloud are you going to, and how far away is the datacenter? Latency can be important to the speed.

You can also try to see what very-short-term network speeds look like via Windows Task Manager, e.g. in graph of some Ethernet or Wi-Fi adapter. The goal is to have a fairly smooth upload at maximum line rate. Large gaps or extremely erratic upload rates (assuming nothing else on system is uploading) may be bad.

Logging can provide quite a lot of information, but tradeoff is big output. One compromise level would be a live log view at About ā†’ Show log ā†’ Live ā†’ Retry which should show files going up, and maybe retries. The best (very long) log is at Profiling level, but itā€™s probably too much to read live rather than with a log file.

The backup log also makes a ā€œBackendStatisticsā€ ā€œRetryAttemptsā€ number, but it only arrives after backup. Generally the initial backup (is this that?) is best done as increments, and that also eases debug of issues.

Has the backend been ruled out? For example, Iā€™ve seen in my own testing extremely slow transfers to Mega. Perhaps test another backend.

And another backend might even include local files, which will probably be pretty similar in CPU and memory usage but of course completely exempt from network issues. At the moment there is information on nothing.

Iā€™ve been experiencing all the things expressed here, and in other similar posts, so I contacted Mega support (I had just purchased a PRO I subscription for use with Duicati, and so not happy). Their response was:

Hello,

thank you for your email.

Your issue does not seem to be related with MEGA, since from MEGAsync is working fine.

The issue could be cause by the use of this third party software.

We do not recommend any third-party tools.

Please note that these tools are insecure and do not fully implement our cryptographic protocols, therefore if you cannot access your account, or that third party tool did not work as expected, that could be the reason.
If it is the case, you must use one of our official tools (MEGAsync, MEGAcmd, mobile apps or MEGA in browser) to unlock your account, and stop using this third party tools software.
You will have to wait 30 minutes after log in for your account to be unblocked.

You can also exit it by going to your MEGA account session history and click ā€œLOGOUTā€ on those ā€œUnknownā€/ā€œLinuxā€ sessions.
MEGA

Our onsite download is already using multichannel downloading. Any other third party download client have not been approved or authorized by MEGA and should only be used at your own risk, and we do not give support for that tools.

Also, these foreign tools cannot detect your quota and could limit your bandwidth.

To manage your transfers, the best way is to use MEGAsync - our desktop sync and download/upload client. It can be download here: MEGA Desktop App - MEGA

From MEGAsync interface, click the gear icon at the top-right corner and select ā€œImport linksā€ from the dropped-down list.

Kind Regards,
MEGA Support

Indeed, when I checked my Session History I had many, many, ā€˜unknownā€™ sessions. My (personal) assessment is that Mega no longer works well with Duplicati, so Iā€™m off to Google Drive or B2 (where my benchmark tests give a few seconds for a test full backup of 200Mb, versus 4 hours plus on Mega!). Megaā€™s lossā€¦

Hope this helps othersā€¦