Question concerning "Waiting for upload to finish..."

Hi, I know there are MULTIPLE threads about this but since this error seems to happen as soon as something goes wrong with the final backup step: no case is the same. Some have this because of email notifications badly configured, other because of mono, etc. I thought it was because of email notifications too but I received many successfully, send-mail test is working great, etc.

EDIT: I can’t really do anything since it always ends up in a database locked error. So I really need to restart everything in order to get in going again…

So my question is: what to do when this happens?

I see no errors in logs / profiling. How can I safely restart Duplicati? I’d like to know this for both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu). Is there a standard way of doing it on Windows? I guess on Linux we have to use systemd i.e. systemctl restart duplicati?

I just want to make sure I don’t mess up my database each time this happens as it often happens after backing up a 130GB virtual machine. The file list isn’t that big either so it doesn’t seem to be hanging on a final upload. No network activity either.

Any help in debugging these and also concerning how to restart Duplicati on both Windows and Linux would be greatly welcome!

Thanks!

The only time I see this is when I try to start another operation while a previous one is in progress.

The Live Log → Verbose is usually the best way to monitor what’s happening. Errors shouldn’t appear (unless there truly was an error). ‘Waiting to upload’ isn’t an error condition in of itself. Do you see data transfer going on? In Windows you can use Resource Monitor to see if a process is sending data on the network.

Are you using any throttling options? Did you customize the “remote volume size” option?

No throttling options nor altered the remote volume size and no data transfer at all. It’s been stuck like that for the past 12 hours.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah something does sound wrong then. No activity in Live Log -> Verbose?

Here’s what I have in Live log -> Verbose:

Mar 9, 2020 11:12 AM: The operation List has failed with error: database is locked database is locked
Mar 9, 2020 11:11 AM: The operation List has started
Mar 9, 2020 11:06 AM: Backend event: Put - Completed: duplicati-i1c5a38ad286347d8931469d56a4addfa.dindex.zip.aes (1.52 MB)
Mar 9, 2020 11:06 AM: Backend event: Put - Started: duplicati-i1c5a38ad286347d8931469d56a4addfa.dindex.zip.aes (1.52 MB)
Mar 9, 2020 11:06 AM: Backend event: Put - Completed: duplicati-b4c5f991a0c6244c185de0df95e505561.dblock.zip.aes (33.03 MB)
Mar 9, 2020 11:06 AM: Backend event: Put - Completed: duplicati-20200309T050000Z.dlist.zip.aes (157.56 KB)
Mar 9, 2020 11:06 AM: Backend event: Put - Started: duplicati-20200309T050000Z.dlist.zip.aes (157.56 KB)

Backup is still stuck at “Waiting for upload to finish …”. No network or CPU activity, it’s really idling at point 24 hours later.

Any way I can safely restart the service? I can’t find any answers online about this. (I read often that killing the process can destroy the backups)

Thanks!

Very strange to receive this error… did you try doing anything else in the UI at the time the backup was running? (Tried viewing backup versions, or viewing stored job logs, etc.)

If it is truly hung then you really have no option but to stop/kill Duplicati and start it again. It’s true that you should avoid that if at all possible. Depending on what Duplicati is doing at the time, you may introduce inconsistencies in the database and the back end data. If that were to happen Duplicati can try to repair/recover from it. In extreme cases I have seen some people not able to recover and have to “start over.”

1 Like

I believe I did indeed try to go to restore to benchmark performance and forgot that it was still going on so the database was locked. So I’m pretty sure it’s because of me that error got triggered.

I’ll keep that in mind, I believe that my current instance is totally idle and last time I saw this error I killed it and nothing wrong happened but I’ll make sure to be super careful in case this ever happens again just so I don’t mess up my whole backup like you mentioned :worried:

Thanks for your help! :smiley:

1 Like

Killed it and ran it again, yesterday’s backup immediately started like expected. So far so good!
Thanks for the help, I’ve been digging in other threads learning more about advanced parameters and retention strategies. It’s neat to be able to customize everything. i.e. my server doesn’t require the same backup strategy as my workstation

Lucky to have you here, most of the time I’m learning from your other answers in other older threads XD

1 Like