Problem to backup locked files: Warning while running BACKUP - Failed to process path:

Hi,

I installed DUPLICATI as a windows service because I had problems with “locked files”, running with administrative privileges does not work for me, so I run DUPLICATI (successfully) as a service.

But even with this variant, I can not save the “locked files” and get this warnings:

Warnings: [
2018-04-26 14:51:50 +02 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: LOCALDRIVE:\PATH\MOREPATH\SQLFILE.ldf,
2018-04-26 14:51:50 +02 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: LOCALDRIVE:\PATH\MOREPATH\SQLFILE.mdf
]

How do I get these files backed up with DUPLICATI?

Thanks!

Installing Duplicati as a service helps with having access to all files due to local system permissions. However, it doesn’t help to deal with open/locked files. To enable Duplicati to back up open files (like the SQL database files in your example), Duplicati has to create a VSS snapshot.

You can configure this either in the global settings (see screenshot) or in the advanced settings of your backup job. Just set the option “snapshot-policy” to “on”. Additional information: this feature requires AlphaVSS to be successfully installed, so please make sure that the neccessary three DLLs are present in the directory C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\alphavss. It also requires the MS VC++ 2017 runtime, so you may need to download that from https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/ and reboot after installation to get everything to work.

3 Likes

abacus, T H A N K . Y O U . S O . M U C H . ! ! !

As additional feedback:

• AlphaVSS
    Yes, the 3 files (AlphaVSS.Common.dll, AlphaVSS.x64.dll and AlphaVSS.x32.dll) were already present at DUPLICATI-program folder.

• Microsoft Visual C++:
    This (annoying) program, which I would like to backup (DATEV Mittelstand Faktura und Rechnungswesen compact pro means “billing & accounting”) has conveniently installed MS VC ++ right away … 2008, 2010, 2013 and 2017
    (no, I have not used it for years… it was a fresh new installation) :wink: kinda strange I would say, hah? ^^

• configuration: I turned this feature on (“snapshot-policy: on”) and my backup runs fluently now!

You make my day, thank you! :slight_smile: :+1:

You wouldn’t happen to know of a way to check if this is installed or not, would you? I’m hoping for something as simple as the “Look in C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\alphavss” step to check for AlphaVSS. :slight_smile:

Normally it’s simply shown under “programs and features” in windows. (At least on my Win10 machine).
Along with a dozen other versions :wink:

2 Likes

Röchtösch! :slight_smile: Eight (8!) times incl. 32/64 bit each. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(on a fresh system with a fresh installation of the above mentioned billing & accounting software)

@JonMikelV: Give this a try … hit these keys WIN + X and at the top click on Apps and Features

I think this is as easy as “Look in C:.…” :wink:

1 Like

According to this article, the Windows registry can tell if and what version of the Visual C++ Redist package is installed by querying this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE[\Wow6432Node]\Microsoft\VisualStudio\vs-version\VC\Runtimes\{x86|x64|ARM}.

VC Redist 2015 and 2017 cannot be installed simulatnuously, they both have major version 14. The minor version for 2015 is 0, for 2017 it’s 13.

Another way is looking for msvcp*.dll files in %windir%\System32.

I’ve put this batch file together that should identify the Windows version (32 or 64 bit) and 32/64 bit versions of VC Redist 2015 and 2017. Haven’t tested it on different systems, but it successfully detects a 32 and 64 bit version of VC Redist 2015 on my system:

@echo off
setlocal

rem Detect Windows Architecture
rem WOW6432Node only exists on 64 Bit Windows versions
reg query HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node > nul 2> nul
if errorlevel 1 (set Architecture=32) else (set Architecture=64)
echo %Architecture% bit version of Windows detected.

rem set Registry key where VCRedist version is stored
if "%Architecture%" equ "32" (set "Regkey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes")
if "%Architecture%" equ "64" (set "Regkey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes")

rem Check install 32 Bit package of VC Redist and get version
for /f "tokens=1-3*" %%a in ('reg query %Regkey%\x86 /v Minor') do set Version32Bit=%%c
if "errorlevel" equ "1" (
   echo 32 bit version of VC Redist 2015 or 2017 not found.
) else (
   if "%Version32Bit%" equ "0x0" (
      echo 32 bit version of VC Redist 2015 found.
   ) else (
      echo 32 bit version of VC Redist 2017 found.
   )
)

rem Quit if Windows architecture is 32 Bit
if "%Architecture%" equ "32" (goto :eof)

rem Check install 64 Bit package of VC Redist and get version
for /f "tokens=1-3*" %%a in ('reg query %Regkey%\x64 /v Minor') do set Version64Bit=%%c
if "errorlevel" equ "1" (
   echo 64 bit version of VC Redist 2015 or 2017 not found.
) else (
   if "%Version64Bit%" equ "0x0" (
      echo 64 bit version of VC Redist 2015 found.
   ) else (
      echo 64 bit version of VC Redist 2017 found.
   )
)
1 Like