Partially Solved - Missing volumes; attempting to replace blocks from existing volumes

I’m not really sure the best way to attack this. I’ve read through pages on Duplicati’s help section but I’m not sure of the command(s) I should use to fix this.

Problem:
I do a restore and point Duplicati’s web browser UI to the files on Wasabi s3. I do not have the database for this computer in question as I’m doing the restore from another PC.

I see a warning, “Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Database.LocalRecreateDatabase-MissingVolumesDetected]: Found 13 missing volumes; attempting to replace blocks from existing volumes”

Then I see the 13 files it’s talking about. None of which can be found on the backend (wasabi s3). “Error-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.RecreateDatabaseHandler-MissingFileDetected]: Remote file referenced as duplicati-b04de5668e4c4475594c7299cbbe37ccd.dblock.zip.aes by duplicati-i070d9134f3c146779a434572f93a6b6f.dindex.zip.aes, but not found in list, registering a missing remote file”.

The select data that I’ve restored from said backup seems to be okay. However I think something didn’t get updated somewhere and I’ve got lingering Duplicati files that probably aren’t being used anymore. Just a guess.

Any ideas how I would go about correcting this? Is there truly data loss? Also there’s about 180 versions of backups associated with this job.

Thanks.

Best (if possible) might be to study destination on the PC with database, reading Disaster Recovery on

The AFFECTED command which works well on dblock files. It doesn’t seem to do dindex and dlist well, however dindex for a non-existent dblock is useless. Usually it provides a helpful summary of its dblock.

The LIST-BROKEN-FILES command which will do similar report without you having to name all the files.

The PURGE-BROKEN-FILES command that deletes backup of files that are in missing destination files.

I can’t say it’s impossible, but the database on the other PC is what knows best what it is actually using.

It might not have needed data from the missing dblock, so would not have been affected by the damage.

I was going to add this but I figured I’d leave it out for simplicity. With each backup on this machine I backup a copy of the database. This probably isn’t the best way to go about it as Duplicati is running as a service and I’m essentially backing up the database as the database is being written to (doing this backup). So if the above is correct, VSS is only grabbing a partial database. Maybe I’m wrong.

I was reading about those commands and I tried the LIST-BROKEN-FILES on the actual machine with the following syntax and it was coming up with the wrong database name. Depending on the s3 folder location it would generate a different name but never the right one. Not sure how this mechanism is working. Maybe I’m not including a link to the database? ** Now that I think about it this maybe what I’ve described in the last paragraph, the wrong windows location for the database **

I set up this computer that’s being backed up to run Duplicati as a service. In (C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\Data) I see “Duplicati-server.sqlite” and “10RandomCharacters.sqlite”. “Duplicati-server.sqlite” is small, like 52kb small and the other file with the random characters is the larger actual database.

When I run “Duplicati.CommandLine.exe list-broken-files https://bucketname.s3.wasabisys.com/folder” it asks for the encryption key which I give it, then it comes back and says, “Database file does not exist: C:\Users\pat\AppData\Local\Duplicati\EBWOBJQYJE.sqlite”.

First off it’s the wrong location for the database and secondly it’s the wrong database name. It should be, “C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\Data”. Not sure how to tell it that.

Major edit. Ok so it’s easier to run the LIST-BROKEN-FILES command from the gui as my syntax was wayyyy off. I was able to run it on the actual machine and received the following message:

2022-10-05 13:28:29 -04 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller-StartingOperation]: The operation ListBrokenFiles has started,
2022-10-05 13:28:32 -04 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.ListBrokenFilesHandler-NoBrokenFilesetsInDatabase]: No broken filesets found in database, checking for missing remote files,
2022-10-05 13:28:32 -04 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.BasicResults-BackendEvent]: Backend event: List - Started:  (),
2022-10-05 13:28:32 -04 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.BasicResults-BackendEvent]: Backend event: List - Completed:  (752 bytes),
2022-10-05 13:28:32 -04 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.ListBrokenFilesHandler-NoMissingFilesFound]: Skipping operation because no files were found to be missing, and no filesets were recorded as broken.

Weird as everything seems to be okay but the issue still exists.

2nd edit:
You definitely cannot backup the Duplicati sqlite database with Duplicati. You get a smaller file than what’s actually on the computer after Duplicati is done. I assume this is because VSS is copying it before Duplicati is done with the current backup (the one backing up the database).

Final Edit
Problem resolved. Please note Duplicati is run as a service in my example so the folder location may be different from your setup. I was trying to do a backup of the Duplicati sqlite database located here: “C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\Data”. My thinking was that if anything happened to the actual dblock, dindex, and or dlist files I would at least have the database intact if I needed to run any commands against it.

The process was, I would include, “C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\Data” in with the backup of user files. However when I would import that database into a virtual machine running Duplicati and point it to my S3 provider, it would always come up one version number short than what the actual machine stated. I would also see the above error that files were incorrectly referenced if I tried a restore on any of the files.

Turns out, you cannot backup the Duplicati database along with the main backup job. It’s my assumption that VSS is grabbing a partial copy of the database before Duplicati can finish writing to it. When you do the restore and point Duplicati to the database it looks as if there’s files missing when in fact there isn’t.

Once TS678’s comment clicked, I realized what was happening. I ran a restore job on the actual machine (I wasn’t able to get to this machine directly at first) with the issue and was puzzled when the restore job ran without incident.

This is why LIST-BROKEN-FILES kept coming back a success every time…because there really was no issue. I just had a broken database file.

I’ve rectified this situation by running the main backup job and run a separate job backing up the database files located here, “C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\Data” about an hour later. No more errors about missing files.

I’m still seeing the error about the 13 missing files if I run a restore on the actual machine without using the database. In other words if I point Duplicati directly to the S3 files and say here ya go, do a restore; I see the error about the 13 missing files. If I use the database there’s no issue.

Sorry I forgot to mention that. A major assist is it sets up the dbpath to point to the GUI’s database.
Real CLI will assign itself a database path based on the target URL and maybe some other things.
Trying to match real CLI to GUI is most easily done by starting from GUI Export As Command-line.

Assuming you have it on, it runs once before the backup, then the backup reads from its snapshot.

If all complaints are of the form in original post, I suppose there might be extra unused dindex files.
Proving this is difficult. One approach might be to use the affected command, giving dblock files.
If the dblock files aren’t needed, then their dindex files aren’t needed either. Better method is tough.
Easiest for you is to post 13 error messages and a link to a database bug report for an expert look.

DB Browser for SQLite would open a copy of the database. Remotevolume table knows filenames.
ID column there goes to IndexBlockLink table in IndexVolumeID or BlockVolumeID in a normal case.
If a file isn’t hooked in this way, it’s probably surplus, but would still be good to do the affected test.

Although it might be what affected does, one can search for use of a given block volume in Block table:

So the dblock with ID 2 is in use. If your 13 have no use in the Block table, they’re almost surely extra.