Out of memory exception

I have been using Duplicati for six months or so with no issues, backing up to Backblaze B2 and a local hard drive. A few days ago all backups failed with the same out of memory exception, and they have been failing every time since. I did upgrade to the latest canary build 2.0.3.6_canary_2018-04-23 to see if that would help, but it did not. OS is Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS.

The relevant log data:

2018-05-01 02:23:52 -04 - [Error-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler-FatalError]: Fatal error
System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager.List () [0x00049] in <40779f99a9ca4af297e4fb6724fb75c9>:0
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.RemoteListAnalysis (Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager backend, Duplicati.Library.Main.Options options, Duplicati.Library.Main.Database.LocalDatabase database, Duplicati.Library.Main.IBackendWriter log, System.String protectedfile) [0x0000d] in <40779f99a9ca4af297e4fb6724fb75c9>:0
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.VerifyRemoteList (Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager backend, Duplicati.Library.Main.Options options, Duplicati.Library.Main.Database.LocalDatabase database, Duplicati.Library.Main.IBackendWriter log, System.String protectedfile) [0x00000] in <40779f99a9ca4af297e4fb6724fb75c9>:0
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PreBackupVerify (Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager backend, System.String protectedfile) [0x0011e] in <40779f99a9ca4af297e4fb6724fb75c9>:0
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler+<RunAsync>d__18.MoveNext () [0x004e7] in <40779f99a9ca4af297e4fb6724fb75c9>:0

Any ideas? Thank you!

Hi @Craig, welcome to the forum!

This error seems to be happening for you during the backend check that happens at the start of a backup.

As a test (not a fix) does the error go away if you set --no-backedn-verification=true in your job?

--no-backend-verification
If this flag is set, the local database is not compared to the remote filelist on startup. The intended usage for this option is to work correctly in cases where the filelisting is broken or unavailable.
Default value: “false”

(By the way, I edited your post by adding “~~~” before and after the error message to make it easier to read.)

Hi @JonMikelV,
Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I did not get to try your idea of --no-backend-verification. I realized while looking through logs using the Duplicati web UI, that some elements of the UI just looked wrong - some elements were not in the right place, and the status box at the top was not getting populated with any information. I stopped and restarted the service, and now everything is working fine. I wonder if another process on the machine hogged all the memory for a while, which then caused Duplicati to behave incorrectly. I’ll keep an eye on memory usage for a while.

1 Like