OneDrive (personal) back-ups suddenly started failing with "Channel is retired" and "A task has been cancelled"

I think that might have been a misreading, but feel free to point or quote. Meanwhile, this is my view of it.

The only two months ago fix I see is the above 2.0.4.6 (Dec 11 release) one where the duplicated options were fixed by Remove duplicate connection entries from advanced options list #3511, however you rightly seem more interested in a fix for a backup failure. v2.0.4.6-2.0.4.6_canary_2018-12-11 is another change log view which is part of the series if you want to look it over yourself to see what fixes are being released. This can give you an idea of how often beta happens, and you can also see how fixes go into canary first.

Additionally, as well-covered here, “Channel is retired” means little by itself, and needs one to look for the original error. We don’t even know for sure you got timeouts. You can check as shown here. Alternatively just try the posted solution. If increasing the timeout fixes the problem, you had timeouts. You also might just know if you have unusually slow Internet, or custom settings on things like large remote volume size.

Anything other than timeouts probably deserves a new topic, where it can (hopefully) get its own solution. There is no way (to my knowledge) for a single forum post to have multiple solutions presented at the top.

It’s too bad original OneDrive is shut down at Microsoft. There’s no way to do head-to-head comparisons.