OneDrive and multiple accounts

If my user, Fred, is running OneDrive on his PC can he use Dupliati to backup to a different OneDrive account owned by Charlie?

Keeping this simple:

Office 365 Home Edition has five lots of 1TB storage.

Fred is using his 1TB OneDrive account daily on his PC. So his Win10 PC is logged into OneDrive as Fred.

Can I setup Duplicati on Fred’s PC and backup to Charlie’s empty OneDrive account using different user credentials?

Assuming I’m understanding the question and that you’re backing up using Duplicati’s destinations and not some sort of mounted OneDrive “folder”…

Then yes - you can back up Fred’s PC to Charlie’s OneDrive account.

And while you can only use one destination per backup job, there’s no reason you couldn’t have two jobs where one backs up to Fred’s OneDrive account and the other backs up to Charlie’s OneDrive account.

1 Like

Excellent. Yes, you understood me correctly. Good to see that multiple OneDrive logins can be managed like that. With OneDrive, Dropbox and all this stuff so popular it is good to be able to back that up to a totally different account.

Thanks

I just have to add to this post. Big Thanks to the Duplicati team. The OneDrive backup was nice and smooth. So simple and quick to setup.

The only thing I tripped up on was getting the path right as I didn’t expect the Unix folder slashes. I was backing up to BACKUPS\PC-NAME and it took me all of thirty seconds to spot that “issue”. :wink:

Other than that - excellent stuff. Even more surprised as to how quick the check ran through on the second backup. The first backup took about 9 hours to shift 21GB overnight. Next backup ran through in 10 minutes. Nice. (This is from a cruddy low powered PC sitting in a back office connecting via WiFi to the office router in the next room. Then uploading overnight via VirginMedia cable broadband into an Office 365 Home account. The aim being to give it a cruddy test before moving to the better quality machines)

Glad to hear it went (mostly) smoothly!

Thanks for sharing the comparison between initial and subsequent backups (some users watch that multi-hour / day initial backup and worry Duplicati is just plain slow).

I thought some “real world” numbers would be handy to have.

I initially assumed that cloud backup would just be pointlessly slow. This has impressed me and made me change my plans. I can see a number of places where onsite LAN backup can now be supplemented with an offsite cloudy backup.

I assume if there was a disaster then the download of 21GB of data is going to take a while. So I’ll be setting up backups to alternate between LAN and Cloud. This will give me quick retrieval for the odd deleted document, but a disaster recovery plan for when the building gets flooded.

I have now scattered this around a few different setups. Has been going well.

I’ll also add another bit of feedback - something that should be comically obvious, but should be added to a “Backup to OneDrive” FAQ

If you are on Fred’s PC and decide to backup Fred’s data to Fred’s OneDrive, don’t make the obvious daft mistake.

On Fred’s PC make sure you don’t have the backup folder also syncing to that same PC.

Some silly person I know of had Duplicati set to backup the OneDrive folder on Fred’s PC to Fred’s OneDrive… which meant a never ending file attempting to backup itself to itself… No no no… was not me… honest… I didn’t set a machine up like this and then get confused as to why it’s backup kept growing… :rofl:

OneDrive and AuthID

If the OneDrive password is changed does this invalidate the AuthID?

Huh - there must be a single person running around setting up a lot of people’s backups that way. :wink:

I’m not an auth expert, but I do not believe so. The AuthID is basically an independent login path usually dedicated to a single app. If you poke around settings I’m sure you’ll a page where you can de-authorize individual apps / AuthIDs.

If you happen to go through that scenario (password change) and remember this post, please stop by and let us know if it affects your AuthID as well.

Oh, and good job getting an offsite disaster backup going as well an onsite “oops, I didn’t mean to delete that” backup! :+1:

This is clearly caused by pixies. I often have to chase them out of the back of the PC cases. Troublesome things they are.

I am now tempted to take one of my test setups and intentionally try and break it with a password change. I will certainly return and report my findings.

See above - Pixies. You need to prepare for everything.

The one I installed today is actually in a basement… Their previous backup policy of backing up to the PC in the back room had a few “issues”. Mainly caused by this PC sitting on the floor of the lowest part of the building… a building that has been known to flood.

So now when the rain causes the flood we can turn to the cloud to be saved. :grin:

If you’re thinking of using the GUI, you should get something like the message shown in the link below. If you’re going to use one of the command line items (like the Recovery Tool) to actually change it the RIGHT way then I suspect it will work (though I haven’t tested that).

To be honest with you, I am going at this as a bit of a “new user” and trying things out as I go along. I haven’t read the whole forum, and not been following the development that closely. So when I need to do something new I search the forum and the FAQ for the method, and then try to get it to work.

What is the “RIGHT way” to change things? I kinda assumed I’d just go in and press the AuthID button again. If there is a more correct way of doing this, then I am happy to try it out and feed my experiences back in.

Also, do you have a feedback section? If not, I am thinking of making a thread with a few of my thoughts as an end user. I can see some interesting things I have tripped over that could help add some polish to Duplicati. (Example being needing to type Windoze Network paths as server/share/folder instead of a more normal \\server\share\folder which does lead to some confusion.)

Hang on… I just read the bit you quoted there. When I say “password change” I am talking about the OneDrive AuthID and not the encryption of the data itself.

Whoops - my fault, sorry I misunderstood you there! (And for taking so long to reply - that darn real life…can’t live without it!)

As far as I know the “right” / easiest way to change AuthID for a destination is just clicking the button as you describe. Note that you MIGHT need to deauthorize Duplicati first (which you’d do through the destination’s interface, so varies by destination) otherwise you might just get the same authorization repeated.

Of course it is possible to get auth IDs from elsewhere (like directly from the some destination GUIs) and just paste it into Duplicati, so that might be worth a try as well.

Oh - and thanks for the “new user perspective”. When working with something so closely it can be easy to gloss over things that seem obvious when they aren’t. While I can’t promise things will get better quickly, we strive to move in that direction. :slight_smile: