New install cannot find existing backup

I guess I missed the more direct way there. Maybe I didn’t browser-search well enough.

So once again, when (at boot or at login) and how (auto/manual) did you run Duplicati?

Were you happy with it before? Then the question is to replicate how you had done that.

You can check the old install, and if has ~root/.config/Duplicati, then which did you use?

Is the old partition still bootable? You never want to mix two Duplicati on one destination,
however you don’t have the new one going yet. Do they back up the same source files?

That seems too much for Introduction, but same question can be asked on Installation.

There are many things that are not 100% detailed. Again, change requests can be filed.
One problem, though, is that you’re in systemd administration, and I think it varies a bit.
A complete systemd manual is also vastly beyond the scope of what can be supplied…

As mentioned in other topic, maybe manual can offer setup hints for particular purpose.
Typically, the issue that comes up is Duplicati having no access to files, thanks to Arch.

The User= and Group= force Duplicati to start without access to anything. It’s secure…
You could edit for your own user and group, e.g. as shown by running the id command.

I don’t administer this much, so if you can find Ubuntu info, it may be the most accurate.
Search for ubuntu systemd user group finds lots of material that can help guide you.

man systemd.unit

UNIT FILE LOAD PATH talks about this some, however I’m not a great systemd expert.
My interpretation is that you want to edit your /etc/systemd/system/duplicati.service file.
This is the same file that you were either editing per manual or it was already sufficient.

man systemd.exec

User=, Group=
           Set the UNIX user or group that the processes are executed as, respectively.

How so? You must already have been able to get to a root shell to get the steps you did.
There are security reasons why running as root is too powerful. Depends on your need.
Clearly, if you want to run as you, you can’t backup any files that you have no access to.