Netgear Readnas 104 NAS install?

Netgear’s readynas backup software ‘replicate’ is shutting down at the end of this year, so im looking for an alternative. Duplicati looks perfect!

It runs a debian backend which i can SSH into. I’m just not super 100% sure if it will work or prerequisites. Has anyone tried installing it onto a READYNAS 104 or 102?

From what i can google, a few firmware revisions ago the core was upgraded from debian 7 to debian 8. and it is an ARM processor.

***EDIT:
I’ve got it all figured out and working. I’ll post my procedure soon.

1 Like

Interesting! After hours of Googling I managed to get it working on my ReadyNAS 314. I suppose the way I installed it is not the most obvious way. I’ve documented my procedure here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/duplicati/netgear|sort:relevance/duplicati/fTcYEH_5r2s/FX8j-xrMAwAJ

Hi kees-z!
Yes I found your google post! and it helped me out tons! thank you so much! It looks like our NAS’ work very similar.

That’s great, and thanks! Is your process close enough to @kees-z’s to share a single How-To topic ?

Created one!

2 Likes

Yes Kees-z’s is much cleaner than mine, i did need to change the auto run script, because his started on the default port (8200) but that conflicts with the DNLA on the nas. so you need to change that to 8300.

I’m just doing some test backups and making sure everything works.

1 Like

Good spot! Somehow this was replaced by a $ character in the init script. Fixed that.
Also, added --portable-mode to the same line. This will store the local databases and configuration files in the Duplicati share on the data volume of the NAS.

Awesome! I didn’t know about that one. I’ll add that too.
I had a question about your startup script. It appears to need ‘start’ added to the end of it make it run or ‘stop’ to close the service down. ie ‘duplicati start’. But when adding it to update-rc.d you don’t appear to be adding the ‘start’ to it? (my linux coding skills are very rudimentary, so forgive me if im miss-reading it.

My startup script was just a one-liner that starts the service.

1 Like

The only explanation I have is: I have no idea. Just copied another script and made a few changes to it. After some fiddling, Duplicati.Server.exe started up automatically after rebooting the NAS. In my situation it works, but I have no idea why it works…
If you have anything that can be improved in the script, please share it and explain how the modification makes working it better. Thanks!

I definitely wouldn’t assume to make it better. mine is just a bit simpler because I don’t know much :stuck_out_tongue:

Enable SSH:

1. Log on to your ReadyNAS and create a new share.Give it the name Duplicati.
  2. Enable SSH: Click System, Settings and click the SSH button.
  3. Download and start PuTTY. Connect to your ReadyNAS (username: root, password: your admin user’s password).

Install Pre reqs:

Type the follow:
apt-get update
apt-get -y install apt-transport-https sudo nano git-core python python-software-properties software-properties-common
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo “deb Index of /repo/debian wheezy main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install mono-devel
Reboot the NAS

Install Duplicati :

1. Download the Zip version of Duplicati from Duplicati
  2. Create a folder Duplicati on the Duplicati share on the ReadyNAS and extract the Zip file to this folder.
  3. Test if the server can be started with this commands:

cd /data/Duplicati/Duplicati

mono Duplicati.Server.exe --webservice-interface=any --webservice-port=8300 --portable-mode

You should see that the server has started and is listening on 0.0.0.0 on port 8300

and be able to browse to http://:8300

Adding duplicati to NAS start up:

Create startupscript:

nano /etc/init.d/startduplicati.sh

Then paste the following text:

#! /bin/sh
mono Duplicati.Server.exe --webservice-interface=any --webservice-port=8300 --portable-mode

Press Ctrl+X and save the file.

Type the following commands to then set the execute permissions and add the script to your NAS startup:

chmod 755 startduplicati.sh
update-rc.d startduplicati.sh defaults

Then Reboot your NAS and you should be able to browse to http://:8300

1 Like

John, that looks pretty good! Just a few quick things:

1. is your “paste the following text” block supposed to include the “Press Ctrl-X and save the file.” comment?
  2. did you start with kees-z’s Installing Duplicati on a Netgear ReadyNAS steps or come up with your own?
  3. do you feel yours is simplified enough to be moved to a post as an alternative process on the kees-z’s #howto? (Sorry, I don’t know enough about ReadyNAS to make an informed decision on that.)

The only real difference is the way Duplicati is set up to start automatically.
I don’t know which approach is the best. After searching a bit how to start a program automatically after bootup, I found that a text file in the /etc/init.d folder could do the trick. After some fiddling it indeed appeared to work.

@John’s script seems to do the same, but a lot of (redundant) lines are omitted. My version is based on the scripts that were already in the same folder to start other processes on my NAS.

I presume that there are other ways to autostart Duplicati or convert it to a service. The command sudo systemctl start duplicati seems to work also, but I’ve no idea if this will work on Debian based OS’s or on a ReadyNAS.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of Linux can shine a light on which approach is preferred to autostart Duplicati. I’ll update the How-To article if there is a better way to do it than currently described.

I guess not. @John: I’ve been so free to edit your post, moving “Press Ctrl+X and save the file.” outside of the code block.

1 Like

This should work on all distros that are using systemd, which it appears almost all distros are adopting. It requires a small service config file to be installed, which can be grabbed from here:

The /etc/default/duplicati file can look like this:

Sorry i was waiting for someone to test the method for calling it a ‘how to’ I have a couple people at my work that might soon.