NameResolution errors with B2 and Pihole for DNS

Hey gang, just wanted to drop a quick hint. On Feb 1st my duplicati backups started failing with
“Verifications”: [
{
“Key”: “duplicati-20210206T160857Z.dlist.zip.aes”,
“Value”: [
{
“Key”: “Error”,
“Value”: “Error: NameResolutionFailure”
}
]
Turns out one of the adblock lists in pihole (v.firebog.net/hosts/Prigent-Malware.txt) has flagged f001.backblazeb2.com as malware and blocks requests to it. You’ll be able to test connections to B2, but you won’t be able to upload files to it.
It took me a bit to figure out what was going on so I thought I would just drop a quick post in case anyone else is having trouble.
Just whitelist backblazeb2.com and you should be good to go again.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, Backblaze B2 had DNS issues for everyone yesterday. I noticed a couple of my backup jobs failed with the same NameResolutionFailure for the B2 back end.

I found that my backups had been failing on the verify files section (for a few weeks) due to f000.backblazeb2.com not having any dns entry. But this was yesterday - is this still a problem?

I’ve whitelisted it in pihole, but I also use cleanbrowsing dns servers although this usually returns a page not allowed type of response rather than a resolve failure.

What is going on?!

Welcome to the forum @Jim_Wormold

You’re probably asking the wrong people why DNS is failing, but Backblaze fixed one chunk of it here:

Recent Outages: Why We Accelerated Registry Changes

however there might be nothing they can do to keep third-party DNS services from dropping them out.

CleanBrowsing DNS Filters / List of IP Addresses has three DNS server IPs that all are dropping f000.
EDIT: I don’t know all the server names, but here, f001, f002, and f003 are resolving at CleanBrowsing.

C:\>nslookup f000.backblazeb2.com 185.228.168.9
Server:  security-filter-dns.cleanbrowsing.org
Address:  185.228.168.9

*** security-filter-dns.cleanbrowsing.org can't find f000.backblazeb2.com: Non-existent domain

C:\>nslookup f000.backblazeb2.com 185.228.168.10
Server:  adult-filter-dns.cleanbrowsing.org
Address:  185.228.168.10

*** adult-filter-dns.cleanbrowsing.org can't find f000.backblazeb2.com: Non-existent domain

C:\>nslookup f000.backblazeb2.com 185.228.168.168
Server:  family-filter-dns.cleanbrowsing.org
Address:  185.228.168.168

*** family-filter-dns.cleanbrowsing.org can't find f000.backblazeb2.com: Non-existent domain

C:\>

f002.backblazeb2.com not resolving might be how a forum topic would go. Do they have other support?

Fantastic, thanks for your guidance. Yes, you are correct - it looks like cleanbrowsing is missing the entry for f000. I’ve contacted them directly and will add a comment to the forum topic you linked to.

I very much appreciate your help with this, as I had failed to find anything like this (amazing I know)!

1 Like