Duplicati looked for me like the perfect Backup solution:
- Lots of options
- Lots of protocols supported
- Lots of Cloud services supported
I started backing up 500Gb of files to JottaCloud. This took some days. Sometimes duplicati crashed and I had to restart the process.
After that I tried to start the restore proccess. And here the catastrophe started:
- Duplicati needed 8 hours on my QNAP to create its database
- Duplicati is not able to download the backuped files in parallel and jottacloud is insanly slow with one single download
- My NAS restarted during the restore (my fault) and I found no option to resume the restore process there it stoped
- I downloaded the files via JottaCloud Software (6 streams in parallel)
- The files are now stored locally
- I restarted Duplicati and the restore process from local files
- I took again hours for the database and then Duplicati crashed by itself
- and again no way to continue the restore
All in all Duplicati has the following flaws:
- The Web Gui is reacting very slowly or sometimes didn’t react at all
- No usable logs are created in case of a crash (or I am too dump to find them)
- Restore process can’t be resumed
My actual status is that I am not able to restore my files or have to wait for days due to the slow jottacloud download.
I have to be sure that in case of data loss my Backup software is able to recover the backup. Duplicati seems not to be able to handle basic tasks like resuming the restore process (or I am again to dump to find the option to do so).
Also the performance is weak: taking hours for rebuilding the database of a 500GB restore is really much.
I know that the work invested in the developement of this software is done in your spare time and duplicati is free. Nevertheless you endanger your users by advertising the software as backup solution:
Backup files and folders with strong AES-256 encryption. Save space with incremental backups and data deduplication. Run backups on any machine through the web-based interface or via command line interface. Duplicati has a built-in scheduler and auto-updater.
I am already a technician and I am not able to recover my files, even if they are saved locally. “Normal” users will not do a restore test and they will trust that in case of error duplicati can restore the files.
I would be happy if you proove me wrong and show me that I made mistakes why all this happend.
Actually I am a bit depressed because at the beginning I really liked Duplicati.