Issues with Starting and Backups

Hi,
I am a first time user and have successfully created a few backups to my onedrive account. I am however facing the following 2 issues:

a) My PC is set to hibernate at 11:30PM and wake at 6AM. I have Duplicati running as a service and when I log in through RDP, I can see it in the tray in ‘Paused’ mode. I have to manually set it to resume for backups to start.

b) On one of my backups I got an error and did a database delete/repair. When running the backup, I now get this error: “The database was attempted repaired, but the repair did not complete. This database may be incomplete and the backup process cannot continue. You may delete the local database and attempt to repair it again.”
Now when I click on delete/recreate I get this message: “No filelists found on the remote destination”

Any help on these would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi @Msb1, welcome to the forum!

There is a startup delay that is used when resuming. As many services tend to do startup work, Duplicati has a small delay where it does not resume, to avoid piling on. If the suspend continues, then it is a bug that should be reported and fixed.

This error message means that Duplicati did a listing of the files on the destination and did not find any dlist.zip.aes files (or dlist.zip if not using encryption). If you manually inspect the destination, do you see the files?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have the startup delay set to 5 minutes. Tried with 0 and 30 seconds also. Even after an hour, the service remains paused. Someone posted that they use lights out to stop and start the Duplicati service - I am going to try that.

I checked the destination and all the files were there. Have since deleted the files and am re-creating the backup. However, I would like to know how to solve this if it happens again and I need to restore the backup.

Yes, it is always a good idea to test the restore before you need it. If Duplicati says “no files” and you see files, then there is likely some kind of user-change involved. This can happen on Google Drive if you “touch” the files as Duplicati will loose access to them.

Sounds similar to this issue:

however reports are rare, and possibly may be machine-specific somehow.

What error?

Did that put out any errors or warnings?

Is Advanced option auto-cleanup used?

What Storage Type is the Destination?

EDIT:

Answered already:

Looking specifically for files with dlist in their names? No other files will do the job.

I have deleted the files on onedrive and deleted the backup on duplicati and re-created it.

Also, with regards to the issue where duplicati was staying paused post resume from hibernate, I think I have solved this by having the service stopped before hibernation and restarted after.

Should I enable this option?

I’m glad you found a workaround, but it shouldn’t be necessary. Can we get any information about your PC, such as what Windows version it’s on, whether it’s a desktop/laptop/server, and anything special about it (old/new/fast/slow)? Maybe something unique about it will add a clue. There’s also

C:\>powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S3)
    Hibernate
    Hybrid Sleep
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

C:\>powercfg /lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: ACPI\PNP0C0C\aa
    Friendly Name:
    Description: ACPI Power Button
    Manufacturer: (Standard system devices)

C:\>

which is pretty easy. Above is mine, and it’s an old Intel desktop that seems to unpause just fine. Problems are easiest to fix if the developer can reproduce them. Failing that, more info can help.

Probably not. It’s a little too automatic, and in unusual cases it might cause automatic accidents, which was one of my theories if dlist files actually vanished, but it sounds like we lost the history.

Without any data on what happened, I can’t offer anything. You’re sure you know nothing more?

It’s a newish computer, reasonably fast, running Windows 11. Hardware is AMD Ryzen 7 on an Asus B550 Motherboard with 32GB RAM. Nothing special.

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

powercfg /lastwake
Wake History Count - 0

The system may have been rebooted since the last Wake from Hibernate.

It gave me some error and asked me to recreate the database which I did. The rest I have quoted above. I’m sorry I don’t have any other information.

I appreciate your help with this.

Thanks for the info. Seems like nothing particularly unusual. There’s probably a little more in the event log system events from resume, especially from Kernel-Power and Power-Troubleshooter. Maybe yours looks like mine where it resumes from S3. It’s supposed to then notify apps of that, however there’s probably a chain where it has to pass through .NET Framework to tell Duplicati.

Somewhere along the chain, something might be getting lost. More Duplicati logging would be a possible way to see what’s coming in, but that would be something developers would have to do.

and seemingly, if somehow (how much Duplicati runtime distance is there – any?) the Resume comes in before the Pause is registered, I wonder if Resume is silently dropped and it pauses?

SystemEvents.PowerModeChanged not fireing if computer is put to sleep over start menu #78162 was an issue filed against maybe a newer version of .NET than Duplicati has, but raises question

Does problem occur if you manually put it to sleep and wake it? I hadn’t heard before of methods making a difference, but apparently it did in that report. Whatever that was might also have been something rather limited, since if were everywhere, I’d think we’d all be hearing many complaints.

I looked in my events again at my wake. Mine is S3 sleep hybrid sleep. S3 is suspend to memory. S4 is suspend to disk, so survives power loss. Hybrid writes disk (just in case) but resumes from memory unless power loss forces resume from disk. I’m not sure exactly what your “hibernate” is, but possibly it’s suspend to disk. If so, I suppose you could see what happens if you do S3 sleep.

You can possibly see some references in the system event log, but there’s also analysis by using Powercfg command-line options such as /systemsleepdiagnostics and /sleepstudy to see if anything looks amiss. The former’s report in C:\system-sleep-diagnostics.html mentions a Sleeping3 sleep state that might be S3, but I haven’t tested others. Your state might be different.

My system event log events, e.g.Kernel-Power, also mention S3 on the resume. Yours may differ.