Is there a work queue?

I have a long upload running. While that’s running, I thought I would delete a backup that I wasn’t using anymore. So, I went to delete it. There were no messages whatsoever, but the backup wasn’t deleted. I tried several times to no avail.

I’m wondering whether there is an invisible work queue where these activities are getting stored. Because, if not, I would think that I’d get some sort of information about that. Even if there is a queue, I’d really like to know what’s in it, and, dare I say, even manipulate the queue in the ways that queues get manipulated.

Just wondering. Thanks.

See if you see a visible (but unfriendly and uneditable) work queue at About → System information, e.g.

• schedulerQueueIds : [{“Item1”:317,“Item2”:“3”}]

(that was empty square braces before I tried to run a second backup while one was running – can’t do)

Yes, it does that. But it’s meaningless to me. :frowning:

About the only meaning you can get is that there’s something in the queue if you see something there.
I’m assuming your backup deletion finished after the upload and whatever else was queued finished…

Yes, as mentioned by @ts678 there is a queue but all it displays is the internal (to Duplicati) job ID number for the backup job and only if there is already another operation in progress. I believe that Duplicati Client can expose the internal IDs of the jobs and possibly even the queue if in the future you needed to find out just what is in the queue.
The queue (to my knowledge) cannot be manipulated, the behavior you describe (no messages, for queue additions) is normal behavior and it takes much longer to cancel a running job than most people expect.

FYI: Job IDs are sequential. This means that if you created three jobs “Monday”, “Tuesday” and “Wednesday”, (on a clean install) they should be assigned job IDs 0 ,1 & 2 respectively, which is fine as you seldom see or have to use a job IDs anyway but know that if you delete one of the jobs, let’s say the Tuesday job at ID 1 then recreate it exactly as it was or re-import it, it will now have ID 3, delete it and recreate it again and it will be at ID 4.
Every time you successfully create a job, a job ID is consumed and that ID will not be reused. I don’t know for certain but have to presume that there is a reasonably high limit on job ID numbers of likely at least 65535, which should be way more than enough for any typical usage of Duplicati.

1 Like