Is Duplicati kind of abandoned?

Two short statements from Feb 22 from original developer whose contributions have been essential:

Is duplicati alive or stable? #4889

Hi, thanks for the concern and raising the issue. As it stands now, I have very limited time and I am not able to fix issues and review PRs. I maintain the servers and other background stuff that needs to be running.

I can commit to doing the releases (building, signing, etc) if someone wants to take on the other roles.

Post above that gives my longer view on the process, the roles, and the need for some volunteers.

Forum comment below continues on the need for people (or groups) to help fill in the current gaps:

My short statement, said a lot here, is that Duplicati exists entirely on what its community volunteers.
Right now, one key volunteer is absent, has clarified situation a bit, so now we know what is needed.

So those are some short personal but not predictive statements. Beyond that, it gets long. Read on?

Longer older statements are present in the Releases category that this is in. For May 2022 one, see

Was worried due to the lack of releases

You’re apparently not looking in the pull requests where there is a trickle of fixes, even one yesterday.
Since the project owner apparently can still do releases (maybe barely), one bottleneck is in commits, however in front of that is volunteers to create pull requests, and in front is people to isolate bugs, etc.

You can see lots of activity in the forum on at least trying to narrow down bugs, if user will open issue, however if user doesn’t care to do so, then perhaps issue is not worth fixing. There are plenty around.

You can also look at the latest Canary release page. For example, see 2.0.6.104_canary_2022-06-15:

and the actual link (not the image) shows the commits that are in and ready to release. Are 4 enough?
Typically a Canary gets more, but typically the pace of commits is higher. Anyone want to do commits?

What’s more apparent for typical users is the aged Beta. See Canary releases for what Beta’s missing.

My above-mentioned GitHub opinion piece is my take on the relationship between parts of the process needing volunteers in order to get back to something resembling normal, though maybe still less quick.
Releases come at the end of a series of work items, and that pipeline runs poorly due to lack of people.

There are some people (e.g. Jottacloud users) who would be happy if their ready-to-go fix got released.
There are others (such as you and a post on the GitHub topic) who want more things (e.g. mac) as well.
This is traditionally a judgment call. “One more fix” needs more test time. Current Canary is long-tested.

I’m tempted to see if we can push out an Experimental and Beta based on what’s ready, but that leaves other pull requests behind. You might be interested in this one, which sounds like it might help TrayIcon:

Make Xamarin-based CocoaRunner the default on Mac #4802 (seems like it had build+test challenges)

It would be best not to get deep in specific issues here. There are lots of topics, including this yesterday:

Nothing Happens on a MAC (linking to one of several workarounds where specifics might be discussed)