Installation on Windows Server 2019 core as service

I faced with the same problem on Windows 2019 core.

Just after installing D2 I wrote in the cmd: “c:\Program Files>“Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Service.exe” install”.

I saw: “Starting process c:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Server.exe with cmd args “–ping-pong-keepalive=true” install”. And nothing has changed for a long time.

Later I pressed Ctrl+C and installed “Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) 14.29.30133”. Now I see:

c:\Program Files>"Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Service.exe" install
Starting process c:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Server.exe with cmd args "--ping-pong-keepalive=true" install
Attempting to restart server process: c:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Server.exe
Starting process c:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Server.exe with cmd args "--ping-pong-keepalive=true" install
Attempting to restart server process: c:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Server.exe
^C

What’s wrong and how I can fix it?

You are using the wrong command to install the Windows service. Try this instead:

"C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.WindowsService.exe" install
1 Like

Ooops, thank you very much!

For descendants: better to install like that:
Duplicati.WindowsService.exe install --webservice-allowed-hostnames=*
or
Duplicati.WindowsService.exe install --webservice-allowed-hostnames=myhostname

Weirdly, but I cannot connect from browser. I have already change LocalService to NetworkService (sc config duplicati obj=“NT Authority\NetworkService”) but without success.

I can’t see open ports via Netstat.

No local is normal:
PS C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2> Get-Process -Id (Get-NetTCPConnection -LocalPort 8200).OwningProcess

Handles NPM(K) PM(K) WS(K) CPU(s) Id SI ProcessName

532      33    40172      45276       0,63   3420   0 Duplicati.Server

Duplicati only listens on localhost by default. Since you’re using Windows Server Core, you can’t run a web browser on it directly and must be using a web browser on the network.

Try installing the service with this option:

--webservice-interface=any

I’m not sure off hand how to change it for an existing installed service.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s working!!!

So right actions to work on Windows Core:

1. Install “Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable”.
  2. Install Duplicati 2 without startup and links.
  3. Run command: "C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.WindowsService.exe" install --webservice-allowed-hostnames=* --webservice-interface=any (or like that).
  4. Run command: sc start duplicati

Good summary - glad you got it working!

Note: you cannot use Windows Server DFS Name such as “\\domain\folder” in before or after script (may be in source and / or destination too): only way is to use access via computername (ex. \\server\folder).

Also you need to share with access for this computer. For example: “thiscomp$”.

Yeah, if you’re running as a system account it makes sense you need to grant the AD computer object access to a share. Curious that DFS name resolution doesn’t work, though.

1 Like