Install on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

Trying to install duplicati on a VPS, I’ve got this error:

root@135764:~/Downloads# dpkg -i duplicati_2.0.4.5-1_all.deb 
dpkg-deb: errore: archive 'duplicati_2.0.4.5-1_all.deb' has premature member 'control.tar.xz' before 'control.tar.gz', giving up
dpkg: error processing archive duplicati_2.0.4.5-1_all.deb (--install):
 il sottoprocesso dpkg-deb --control ha restituito lo stato di errore 2

It looks like it is an issue with packaging caused by newer Debian and Ubuntu releases using the new format. It should be possible to repackage it for 14.04.

I’d suggest updating to a newer OS release if possible. This version isn’t even supported by canonical 2 months from now.

The VPS is in production, so it’s a little risky to update. I would like to install without update. What do you intend with “repackage”.

Unpacking the new format and repacking in the old. But between that and t solving dependencies it’s a hassle. I haven’t tried it, but it should be possible.

Alternatively you’d have to build from source and install it manually, but again it’s a hassle.

If it’s production it’s even more important you update because in 2 months you won’t get security patches for new vulnerabilities discovered in Ubuntu

Many thanks for yours tips. Before do anything else, I went back in time with the releases and I was able to install the version duplicati_2.0.4.2-1_all.deb, released this on 12 Nov 2018.
For now it’s enough, in the next days I’ll try to use duplicati for backup vps.