How to backup the backup?

And what about that topic I created on “Features”, “Backup of backups”?

https://forum.duplicati.com/t/backup-of-backups/7995/2

It wouldn’t copy Duplicati files to other location, but open those Duplicati files just like as if restoring without a database, and then backing up the contents of that original backup in the new destination.

Would it be, in fact, two tasks being ran simultaneously, and would it be a major problem for the development?

Yes. This is exactly the reason why I asked for “append only” backups, and remote / back-end compacting. And even if I didn’t say it in the post, the backend compacting also means that the compacting on the back-end must be done in a way where compaction can be accomplished without having the encryption key. This is where it does a big difference if there are encrypted blocks inside data container or the entire data container is encrypted. Why? Well, in case of encrypted blocks, it’s possible to remove specific blocks from container without encryption key, but if the whole container is encrypted, then it’s not possible anymore.

There’s also a good reason why the backup back-end must not have the keys. The backup storage and compaction system itself comes a huge liability, if there’s a compact job which has all the keys to the data sets on the server.

It also depends pretty much on the liabilities. What if the contract says that you’ll have to pay 100k, 1 million or 100 million for fkingup the data? And as bonus get sentenced or even jailed for breaking national laws and regulations (which is in some cases also include personal liability).

“You had only one job, securing our data, and you managed to even screw that up. Great job. - Thank you so much”

Hi
Need help

I also have Synology NAS - DS216.

I want to take backup of my PC to NAS shared folder. how do i select destination path ?

are you mapping the drive ? or using any other method ?

Request please help on the same.

Hi @edp, you have a few options with Synology. You could try backing up to a mapped drive letter. I haven’t tried that method myself but it should work and may be the easiest. Otherwise you can enable SFTP or install a WebDAV server. Duplicati also supports both of these protocols.

mapping i dont want to do it as user may get access to backup file.

Will check on sftp / WebDAV

Rupesh

I agree with that approach. Using SFTP or WebDAV also has the benefit of making the data inaccessible to ransomware - which is usually limited to scanning local disks or SMB shares.

You don’t need to use drive mapping to use resources over SMB, UNC works.

1 Like

yes unc worked. thanks,