How to backup the backup?

I didn’t mean having a remote engine. I’ve actually written about this in some post earlier.

But from my old perspective of software product manager. Sure, these both options easily add lof of complexity and things that could go wrong. And therefore, it’s totally pointless to address this kind of “nice to have” features, before core features are rock solid.

One way of doing that would be “logging the changes”, either the client could send file which tells what to compact and how, or in case of “remote / local alternate compact” the log would contain information what has been compacted and how to update the local database accordingly. - But that’s just adding more complexity and making things more brittle for a small optimization / security improvement.

Have you tried restoring your database from the storage without local database? If you haven’t done that, you might now know that you’ve got a bomb waiting for you. - But enough about that. It’ll get fixed, when it’s get fixed. And as I’ve said, it’s probably from technical perspective small issue, which could and should get fixed in several stages of the processing.

But if we talk about this thread, snapshotting the backups and backing up the backups (with duplicati or alternate versioning software) both work, without creating the complexity of providing write only access.

Just wanted to warn people about the fact, that making backups of the backups, still might leave you with non-restorabe backup situation.