How to backup OneDrive to local disc on Linux

Hello,

new here and not sure if this is the right category for my question, so please forgive me if it should have been posted somewhere else …

I have Duplicati running on Ubuntu Linux on a Raspberry PI4 and want to use this to backup some of my data from my OneDrive to a local disc or a network share connected to the Raspberry PI (because Microsoft does not provide a real backup of the data). Since I have no synced OneDrive folder available on the Raspberry PI (like it’s done on Windows) I need to configure OneDrive as the source in Duplicati and the local disk or mounted network share as the destination. Is this possible on Linux and how can it be done?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Hervshahn

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Duplicati is designed to protect local data, so it doesn’t have a built in way to configure OneDrive as the source. You’ll probably need to use a third party tool to sync OneDrive to Linux since I don’t believe MS has an official client for Linux.

One option may be rclone. It’s an excellent tool for syncing to/from/between local/cloud storage. If you set up rclone to sync locally, you could then configure Duplicati to back up that local sync point to get the standard Duplicati benefits of versioning and flexible retention.

Hi,

thanks a lot for the swift reply! I took a look at rclone, looks like it can mount OneDrive as a file system without the need to sync to a local storage space which I don’t have available on my Raspberry PI. Will check and see if it could work that way…

FWIW I have been using RClone for similar things with my OneDrive. Be sure to choose the right variation of OneDrive when you configure it. I have found RClone trouble-free and forgiving ONCE you get it configured correctly, but finicky and demanding up to that point.

2 Likes

There is a onedrive client for linux as well

1 Like

Hi, thanks a lot for your answers. I have setup rclone, backing up OneDrive performs flawlessly up to now. Have to add Google Drive as well which seem to be a bit more tricky than OneDrive - let’s see …