Home folder not accessible on Linux

Hello there,

I have succesfully installed Duplicati on Manjaro linux. Now I would like to add a subfolder of my user folder, but it won’t open (see screenshot).

What am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

Schermafdruk_2018-08-21_12-59-29

0 Likes

It looks like the user under which duplicati runs does not have permissions to your home folder.

So you can either run duplicati as a user that does have permissions (yourself or root) or grant the user it runs as permissions on the folder.

Edit: also remember that some files should remain inaccessible, such as the private part of a pub/private key pair. You should exclude these from a backup or know that these are there if you incude them. For this however I definitely recommend running as root, since giving any other suer besides that permissions on the private key part is not very wise in my opinion.

0 Likes

Ok, that sounds logical. Can you help me a bit on how to do that? I followed this guide by the way: Install Duplicati Backup on Manjaro and Arch Linux | The Best Backup Software Review

0 Likes

EDIT ignore this if you already have subfolders. I’m keying off the topic content, not the wording of the title.

Possibly what’s missing is a new folder button. Quick changes that would make new user experience a lot better.

While I can’t rule out a permission problem without knowing what user you run Duplicati as (root? you?), inability to make a new folder from this screen recently made me create it by hand using File Explorer, then I think I went Home and restarted the add because it was easier than figuring out exactly how far I had to back out to refresh.

This was all on Windows 10 with Duplicati running as a service which runs as SYSTEM – similar to root on Linux.

I think there’s a UI request to make this screen run more like cloud storage does, where there’s a base and also a folder within it. IIRC the peril was that without the extra guidance, people put two backups into the same folder.

0 Likes