File size remaining goes negative

Fedora 31 workstation, Duplicati - 2.0.4.34_canary_2019-11-05
When nearing the end of the backup, the file size remaining to be backed up becomes a negative number. I am attempting to upload a screenshot here.

This is a fairly fresh installation. I upgraded Fedora 31 about a week ago, then reinstalled Duplicati Canary

When the backup first starts, Duplicati scans the filesystem to find files that should be backed up and it also notes the total size of all those files.

If some files grow larger after they are scanned at the start of the backup - but before Duplicati has backed them up - then it can throw off this ‘bytes to go’ calculation.

It is superficial and can be ignored. The UI should probably be adjusted to hide the ‘xx bytes’ portion if it goes negative.

A fix was made a few months ago for another situation where this number could be negative: files were temporarily counted twice against the total bytes processed. But your version has that fix so this is a different issue - probably file growth during backup.

Just adding that I think I ran into the same bug. While the backup was occurring, I added some zip files. I then ended up with this and the backup got “stuck”. I had to restart the Duplicati service entirely.

If you can reproduce this problem, it might be interesting to see what About -> Show Log -> Live -> Verbose shows.