Fastest way to restore part of a backup

Got a link? While maybe there are some discrepancies, what I found in the documentation just has

Restoring files using the Recovery Tool

Duplicati.RecoveryTool.exe restore <localfolder> [version] [options]

<localfolder> is a required option. It should point to the location where your downloaded remote files are stored. Optionally add --targetpath to specify where files must be restored to, otherwise the files are restored to their original locations. Use filters or the --exclude option to perform a partial restore. See exclude and APPENDIX D Filters for more information.

The command’s help is a little closer, but it’s not clear what version being a filename is supposed to do.
The code looks like you can give it the filename of a dlist file rather than imply it from a numeric version.

Restore
-------
Duplicati.RecoveryTool.exe restore <localfolder> [version] [options]

Restores all files to their respective destinations. Use --targetpath to choose another folder where the files are restored into.
Use the filters, --exclude, to perform a partial restore.
Version can be either a number, a filename or a date. If omitted the most recent backup is used.

Code says if it can’t find the dlist filename, it tries it as a number. That explains “/backup, invalid integer”.

One other issue which may or may not matter is Windows needs a double backslash before the closing double quote, otherwise using single backslash will escape the double quote instead of ending the string:

C:\>help "hi"
This command is not supported by the help utility.  Try "hi /?".

C:\>help "hi\"
This command is not supported by the help utility.  Try "hi" /?".

C:\>help "hi\"ho"
This command is not supported by the help utility.  Try "hi"ho /?".

This commonly bites people on filters where a trailing backslash is how to signify a folder in filter syntax.

\\TOWER\Media\backups\microsoftbackup is local disk? If it’s a share, it’s slow, but better than cloud.

I can’t find that Duplicati message, although sometimes Microsoft messages are shown in its messages. Cross-OS restores do require not going to the original path, but it sounds like you heard that word earlier.

If you have an interest in trying RecoveryTool, filter syntax might be able to turn --exclude into an --include using some exotic regular expression features. The below uses zero-width negative lookahead assertion:

--exclude="[(?!^C:\\backup source\\short\.txt$).*]"

I’m asking to include C:\backup source\short.txt by excluding everything (i.e. the .* part) that isn’t that path.

EDIT:

Added a backslash in front of the dot in the regular expression. Not critical, but that matches literal dot.
Also confirmed that filename of a dlist file for a version is taken, and if I typo it, it rejects it as a number.