Failed to Process Path

I am trying to backup some files that are from Altaro which is a software that I use to backup my virtual servers to a local USB drive on a different machine. I am then trying to use Duplicati to back those “backup” files from Altaro offsite to my Google Drive.

All of the files will backup except 2 and here is the warnings I get.

Warnings: [
2018-12-05 07:29:17 -06 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: G:\Google Drive\Altaro\AltaroV7\11e5d222-27dd-4310-af64-02da183e07d4\Data\D001.altrdf,
2018-12-05 08:19:05 -06 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: G:\Google Drive\Altaro\AltaroV7\11e5d222-27dd-4310-af64-02da183e07d4\Data\D002.altrdf
]

What can I do to get these files to successfully backup? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Hello @KISDNetman and welcome to the forum!

I notice that the day of the file is the day of the post. Are you still having trouble with these same two files, or is it a different set every time? I wonder if possibly the files are still being written by Altaro, so you can’t get them yet. The pathnames are a bit confusing, but I’m assuming the “G:\Google Drive” is the source path on the USB drive. Seeing which files are open at any given time should be possible using Sysinternals Handle or Process Explorer.

You can probably also get a better view of the Warning (useful info is on additional lines) from the Commandline option of the job, or –log-file, or maybe from About --> Show log --> Live --> Warning. What version is Duplicati?

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Handle does not show these 2 files in use. It’s the same 2 files everytime. Nothing has changed in the directory. I did a backup from Altaro to this USB drive and I have not run another one so Altaro shouldn’t have the files open.

I’m not sure what you’re saying about the -log-file. I’m fairly new to duplicati. I am running version 2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28.

When running the handle program, please note that it needs an Administrator Command Prompt or the equivalent, in order to see open files of programs that are run as SYSTEM (as possibly Altaro is doing).

After searching awhile, I can find almost no information on Altaro files, but maybe their support can explain their files. Altaro VM Backup 7.0 talks about a raw data file (.altrdf?) per VM. Are your files plausibly sized? Does copying them on the Altaro system work in Windows File Explorer, or with a Command Prompt copy? Does Duplicati run as the same user as whatever did the successful copy, or is it another (e.g. SYSTEM)?

The error message is too short to know whether you have an open file problem, a permission problem, or other. Writing to a log file would get additional information right after the warning, and maybe lots of stack trace below. Because the default –log-file-log-level is Warning, I don’t think you need it, but there are other more sensitive levels that could be used if necessary… If the problem is somehow an in-use file condition, setting –snapshot-policy would probably let Duplicati read a local file (to the extent it was present), but you said that the USB drive is remote, and I think that won’t do VSS. Is this a Windows SMB share being used?

About --> Show log --> Live --> Warning is the same log (I think) but live and reverse-chronological in GUI. Sometimes the detailed part is way off on the right hand end of the line, so just highlight it all the way over. Setting up a log file is more work but is the most likely to get you an easily copied full load of information… The easiest way to add --log-file is to Edit the backup and put it on screen 5 Options, in Advanced options, however feel free to start by clicking your way to a live log at the top of this paragraph to see if it’s enough. This can use a different browser tab if you like, and can even be set up before actually starting the backup.

1 Like

I am doing the backups from Altaro again. And I’ve removed my Duplicati backup from my Google Drive. I will start a new fresh backup of Duplicati tomorrow and see if it does the same thing. If I still have the same issue, I will let you know. Thanks for your suggestions.