Failed to process path Outlook file

Hi, need some info. I have warning
2021-04-15 11:00:00 +02 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: C:\Users**\Documents\Outlook Files*.pst
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

Is Duplaciti finish backup without Outlook file or backup is stoped for all files?

It should just skip that one file (and any others that were open, but you’d see warnings about them, too).

If you want to back up open files, you can use the snapshot-policy setting. Note that you have to run Duplicati elevated in order for it to make snapshots.

What is your suggestion to use Off, On or auto
Tnx

Off is the default, and it means Duplicati won’t try to utilize VSS snapshots. You need to set it to one of the other options: Auto, On, or Required. Up to you which one you want. All three will attempt to use VSS snapshots, but behavior is different if the snapshot couldn’t be taken (Silent, Warn, or Fail, respectively).

Hi, I try that with SQL but get an error

2021-04-27 20:10:12 +02 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileEnumerationProcess-FileAccessError]: Error reported while accessing file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\repldata\

Is there any way to be solved?

Are snapshots succeeding? You can know for sure if you set snapshot to Required - the job will fail if it can’t get a snapshot.

Seems to me it is not

27. tra. 2021 21:40: The operation Backup has failed with error: Failed to create a snapshot: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation

{"ClassName":"Duplicati.Library.Interface.UserInformationException","Message":"Failed to create a snapshot: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.","Data":null,"InnerException":{"ClassName":"System.UnauthorizedAccessException","Message":"Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.","Data":null,"InnerException":null,"HelpURL":null,"StackTraceString":" at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents..ctor()\r\n at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssImplementation.CreateVssBackupComponents()\r\n at Duplicati.Library.Common.IO.VssBackupComponentsHelper.GetVssBackupComponents()\r\n at Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.WindowsSnapshot..ctor(IEnumerable`1 sources, IDictionary`2 options)\r\n at Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.SnapshotUtility.CreateWindowsSnapshot(IEnumerable`1 folders, Dictionary`2 options)\r\n at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.GetSnapshot(String[] sources, Options options)","RemoteStackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackIndex":0,"ExceptionMethod":"1\n.ctor\nAlphaVSS.x64, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=959d3993561034e3\nAlphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents\nVoid .ctor()","HResult":-2147024891,"Source":"AlphaVSS.x64","WatsonBuckets":null},"HelpURL":null,"StackTraceString":" at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.GetSnapshot(String[] sources, Options options)\r\n at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.d__20.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at CoCoL.ChannelExtensions.WaitForTaskOrThrow(Task task)\r\n at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.b__0(BackupResults result)\r\n at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String[]& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)\r\n at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String[] inputsources, IFilter filter)\r\n at Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)","RemoteStackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackIndex":0,"ExceptionMethod":"8\nGetSnapshot\nDuplicati.Library.Main, Version=2.0.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null\nDuplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler\nDuplicati.Library.Snapshots.ISnapshotService GetSnapshot(System.String[], Duplicati.Library.Main.Options)","HResult":-2146233088,"Source":"Duplicati.Library.Main","WatsonBuckets":null}

Yep, looks like you’re not running Duplicati elevated per my original reply.

Sorry for my ignorance, but, how to run it elevated?

If you did a default install of Duplicati, it placed a shortcut in your Startup folder. You can modify the properties of the shortcut… on the “Shortcut” tab, click the “Advanced” button. Check the “Run as administrator” box and save your changes. Close Duplicati and then start it again using the newly modified shortcut.

How about the obvious solution of closing Outlook before backup, so files aren’t being locked and it’s easier to get consistent backup anyway. Depending on application and data structures being used the snapshot doesn’t guarantee data integrity anyway.

• Just asking as old IT nerd.
1 Like

@drwtsn32 Thank you
Unfortunately in the Startup folder don’t have a Duplicati icon.
In Settings-> Startup-> Startup app have Duplicati, but, only can On or Off.
I change it to Off. Add shortcut to Startup folder but now Duplicati is not run on Windows 10 startup

Many IT nerds post at spiceworks.com, and some of them seem to feel the same way. Google search:

“outlook” “pst” “vss” site:spiceworks.com

but if you leave off the site, you find some other backup program experiences, e.g. Duplicacy one here:

.pst files backup (with vss on)

This possibly falls in the category of one can ask Duplicati to do VSS, but Windows/Outlook might error.
Having given that warning, I’ll let folks return to how to ask Duplicati to do VSS. Maybe Outlook will work.

As a personal note, I had my VSS intermittently failing because Microsoft cut way back on default space.

Ok, that’s odd… for now navigate to C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2. Right click on Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon and click Run as Administrator. This should get Duplicati started with elevated rights so you can resume your testing.

We can figure out why the Startup thing isn’t working for you later.