Errors using AWS S3

Hi, I’m trying to use Duplicati to backup some folders using S3 as backup repository, but every time I launch the backup job it fails with the following error.

The server OS is Windows Server 2012 and it’s running on an EC2 instance in the same region as the S3 bucket I’m trying to use for the backup (Ireland).
My Duplicati version is 2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18.

This is the backup destination I configured into the backup job, connection test works successfully --> LINK.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks

Tas

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.AggregateException: The channel "BackendRequests" is retired ---> CoCoL.RetiredException: The channel "BackendRequests" is retired
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at CoCoL.Channel`1.<WriteAsync>d__32.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.<FlushBackend>d__19.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.<RunAsync>d__20.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at CoCoL.ChannelExtensions.WaitForTaskOrThrow(Task task)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<Backup>b__0(BackupResults result)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String[]& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String[] inputsources, IFilter filter)
   at Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.AggregateException: The channel "BackendRequests" is retired ---> CoCoL.RetiredException: The channel "BackendRequests" is retired
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.<FlushBackend>d__19.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) CoCoL.RetiredException: The channel "BackendRequests" is retired
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.<RunAsync>d__20.MoveNext()<---

---> (Inner Exception #1) System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.BeginGetResponse(AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncImpl(Func`3 beginMethod, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Object state, TaskCreationOptions creationOptions)
   at System.Net.WebRequest.<GetResponseAsync>b__78_1()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
   at Amazon.Runtime.Internal.HttpRequest.<GetResponseAsync>d__16.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.BackendUploader.<<Run>b__13_0>d.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.BackendUploader.<<Run>b__13_0>d.MoveNext()
   at CoCoL.AutomationExtensions.<RunTask>d__10`1.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.BeginGetResponse(AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncImpl(Func`3 beginMethod, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Object state, TaskCreationOptions creationOptions)
   at System.Net.WebRequest.<GetResponseAsync>b__78_1()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
   at Amazon.Runtime.Internal.HttpRequest.<GetResponseAsync>d__16.MoveNext()
   at CoCoL.AutomationExtensions.<RunTask>d__10`1.MoveNext()<---
<---
<---

Perhaps this can help you.

Hi @Tasslehoff, welcome to the forum.

The error message shows that the S3 server responds with error code 400 when attempting to upload a file. This indicates that the server thinks the request is invalid. This is usually a case where the local clock is set wrong, or an incompatible version is used.

It is strange that the test works though, but it could be something with the user not having permissions to upload the file, so you can list the files, but not upload them.

@Bobo: The Cloud Drive solution is another product from Amazon and not related to S3.

Ah ok. Sorry. I will keep that in mind.

Hi @kenkendk, first of all thank you and thanks @Bobo for your help.

I checked my server time and seems ok, it’s using an ntp server and Windows did not reported any issue about that.

One thing I forgot to mention (mainly because the connection test worked) is the AWS IAM policy applied to the AWS user I’m using for the backup.
I started with the policy suggested by Duplicati and augmented it with the iam:GetUser action on the IAM user object, mainly because the test failed with the initial policy and the error clearly asked for that action on the IAM user object.

{
    "Version": "2012-10-17",
    "Statement": [
        {
            "Sid": "VisualEditor0",
            "Effect": "Allow",
            "Action": [
                "s3:PutObject",
                "s3:GetObject",
                "s3:ListBucket",
                "iam:GetUser",
                "s3:DeleteObject"
            ],
            "Resource": [
                "arn:aws:s3:::<bucket name>/*",
                "arn:aws:s3:::<bucket name>",
                "arn:aws:iam::<backup user account>:user/<backup user>"
            ]
        }
    ]
}

I’m planning to try a test with a differente user with less restrictions, beside that I need to use a dedicated user who can access only that bucket.

1 Like

@Tasslehoff Have you ever found a solution?
I am currently struggling with an issue which looks quite similar to yours