Error in updater: Found unexpected file

Hi,

My backups are failing with a message

Duplicati.Library.Interface.UserInformationException: 
The database has version 7 but the largest supported version is 6.

I’m running Default (Experimental) channel and my current version is:
Same as the base install version: 2.0.1.53_experimental_2017-03-13

New update is recognized, but when I try to activate it, I’m losing connection to server. After restart, I can find this in my logs:

System.Exception: Found unexpected file: /Users/patryk/Library/Application Support/Duplicati/updates/2.0.1.61/OSXTrayHost/rumps.pyc
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.VerifyUnpackedFolder (System.String folder, Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdateInfo version) [0x002bf] in <f46d5bf2250d459ca8595910d907b6a3>:0 

Should I just delete this rumps.pyc file?

I’m not well versed on the Mac side of things but there was a shift in how the updates were handled (at least on Windows) which MIGHT be part of what’s going on.

I don’t even know what “rumps.pyc” does, but I’d suggest moving it to somewhere else and doing a test run rather than deleting it.

My GUESS is that you’re probably going to end up running a manual install over your current installation to get over the change-in-update-process hump.

The error message means that Duplicati has updated, but is now running the previous version.

The .pyc files are “Python compiled files”:

The file rumps.py is a library used on OSX to show the tray-icon, and for some reason it is compiled, and this creates a rumps.pyc file.
Duplicati is very strict about running updates as it needs to be 100% sure that the update was not tampered with.

You can delete the file, but it will be auto-created again.

Instead, just remove the Duplicati.app and install the latest version again, as this will run without the updates.

2 Likes

Looks like it did the trick! Thanks @kenkendk!