Error code 255 when running script required

My questions seems identical to the question shown here but that question was unresolved. I’m trying to run a required script before a backup is run using –run-script-before-required; however, I receive the message:

The script “/config/test1.sh” returned with exit code 255

where test1.sh is:

env > /tmp/env.txt

as the response suggests in the reference question.

The path is accessible inside and outside the container. I can even run manually the script if I am inside the docker container without any problem.

Welcome to the forum!

Does the script actually work? Is the /tmp/env.txt file generated with expected contents?

No, the file is not generated. In addition, I tried variations using different commands inside the test1.sh file. All result in the same error code. Here are my tests:

1. touch /tmp/env.txt
  2. echo “hello”

You are using a docker container? Which image (official duplicati one, or linuxserver, or…)?

Can you open a shell inside the container and show the output of:

# ls -l /config/test1.sh

ls -l /config/test1.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 abc users 18 May 6 11:31 /config/test1.sh

I’m using the linuxserver docker container.

I did a quick test with the linuxserver duplicati image and it worked for me, BUT I didn’t do any volume redirections. Obviously in practice you’ll want to redirect /config to your host and maybe some other directories.

Did you redirect /tmp to your host, or is it still in the container? If redirected, maybe confirm the permissions and UID/GID mappings.

What is your process? I did the exact same thing and couldn’t get it to work. Also, I have gotten a separate permissions error that is resolved by allowing “others” to execute the file so I don’t understand how this could be a permission issue. Here’s my process:

1. docker run -d --name=‘duplicati’ --net=‘bridge’ -e TZ=“America/Chicago” -e HOST_OS=“Unraid” -e ‘PUID’=‘99’ -e ‘PGID’=‘100’ -p ‘8200:8200/tcp’ -v ‘/tmp’:’/tmp’:‘rw’ -v ‘/mnt/user/’:’/source’:‘rw’ -v ‘/mnt/user/appdata/duplicati’:’/config’:‘rw’ ‘linuxserver/duplicati’

• changing the PUID and PGID to 0 did nothing but I’m not sure those are the right settings
  2. inside docker terminal run echo 'echo "Hello, World!"' >> /home/test.sh

• /home is inside the container and not a mounted volume
  3. inside docker terminal run chmod a+x /home/test.sh

• to get around the permission denied issue
  4. sh /home/test.sh prints “Hello, World!”

5. placing /home/test.sh in the –run-script-before-required Advanced Option in the GUI gives: The script “/home/test.sh” returned with exit code 255

Oh, you don’t have this at the top of your script?

#!/bin/bash

Maybe that’s why you’re having issues.

1 Like

Ah! That was it! Rookie mistake, sorry. I’m not as used to not having even a command line text editor.

Tell me about it! Definitely an annoying aspect of the docker images…