Duplicati stopped making backups & no tray icon

Hi

Some while ago duplicati stopped making backups (the hosting service sent me an email that I haven’t used it for a while).

Now, I notice no tray icon appears.

Task manager does not show any service under the name duplicaty.

When running duplicati.gui.trayicon.exe from command line - no error message, neither wanted result.

http://localhost:8200/ says : This site can’t be reached

How do I handle the situation further?

Running under windows7 64 bit.

Thank you

Do you mean the Services tab? It would only be there if you installed it as a Windows service, which would have needed some extra command line work beyond what the GUI installer can do. Usually the Details tab gives the easy view of whether there are Duplicati processes, but your symptoms suggest there aren’t any.

Do you recall whether you installed as a Windows service (starts at boot), or as you (might start at logon)?

So you’re in C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2? Does anything work, e.g. Duplicati.CommandLine.exe help, and if that works then Duplicati.CommandLine.exe system-info to see what version (if any) you’re on.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I don’t seem to have a details tab in the task manager. Maybe I don’t understand what you mean.

I don’t remember whether I installed it as a windows service.

I run what you suggested.
command:
C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2>Duplicati.CommandLine.exe help

result:

Crash!
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the ta
rget of an invocation. —> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file
or assembly ‘CoCoL, Version=1.5.0.24305, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0983de
3c914beeaa’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specifie
d.
at Duplicati.Library.UsageReporter.Reporter.Initialize()
at Duplicati.CommandLine.Program.RealMain(String args)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments,
Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Objec
t parameters, Object arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invoke
Attr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod(MethodInfo method,
String args)

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or ass
embly ‘CoCoL, Version=1.5.0.24305, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0983de3c914be
eaa’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod(MethodInfo method,
String args)
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.<>c__DisplayClass58_1.b__0()
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.WrapWithUpdater(AutoUpdateStr
ategy defaultstrategy, Action wrappedFunction)
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecentSpawn(Method
Info method, String cmdargs, AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy)
at Duplicati.CommandLine.Program.Main(String args)

It looks like Windows 10 Details tab is similar to Windows 7 Processes tab. Both have Services tab, however that’s not relevant unless you installed Duplicati as a service. Running Control Panel to see services could give you an idea of whether you installed as service. One reason to know is because:

Next thing you saw might be the failure. There’s a key part missing. What version of Duplicati is this? Looking at changelog.txt in C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2 is one way to find your base version, but you possibly have some updates over it, and the location depends on how you originally installed Duplicati.

Downgrading / reverting to a lower version gives usual update locations which depend on whether you installed as a service or not. One of these is possibly missing a CoCoL.dll file. I think an install bug can cause this if you run a Duplicati install from .msi without having first using Control Panel to uninstall the older Duplicati. You should be able to get the file by uninstalling and reinstalling the version you’re using.

Will this cause loss of configurations?

I would not like it to take place.

I aprticularly don’t won’t to loose the contact with the backup thread on the server and start backing up from scratch.

But also, not too lose the configurations of duplicati (even if this one is less critical)

Should cause no loss of configurations and no loss of backup, only changes to program code not data. Ordinarily one should backup configurations in case the drive is lost, and this is done by using export, however without a working Duplicati you can find configurations and backup Duplicati-server.sqlite and individual backup .sqlite files (filenames with random letters or random digits). If you did not install as a Windows service then the sqlite files would be in your C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Duplicati folder. Windows service has similar scheme except for SYSTEM user, so the sqlite files would be in the folder C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local Either way, Duplicati-server.sqlite is configuration in the sense of the settings and options for backup, and this has no remote backup for it. .sqlite files for individual backups can in theory be restored from the remote backup. They’re often larger. Simply replacing Duplicati’s program code should go well, but if you like you can just take a File Explorer copy of the configuration folder once you finds yours, and keep it somewhere else. Long-term, store the Duplicati-server.sqlite somewhere safe and private (it has passwords), and consider storing backup DB.