Duplicati restore is very slow

To clarify (if it wasn’t clear from the rest of the message), it’s not 1M that’s not supported, it’s that the change of blocksize of an existing backup (regardless of value) isn’t allowed. It needs a fresh start. Maybe that’s what you meant? I touched on the background earlier, but could go deeper…

Bottom line is that 1 M is supported just fine, but not as a change on an existing 100 KB backup.

Using sync for backup and backup for sync is tried by some people who usually hit the tradeoffs.

Many of the Duplicati backup Features are things a sync program doesn’t need, and the design which uses a database makes it impossible to backup two computers to one destination at once.

Your situation of a one-way transfer is easier but still a bit of a pain. It’s come up in forum before.

This and the next paragraph were hard to read, but I think it says that there’s a local desktop that backs up a local NAS to a local disk and Google Drive. If so, I’ll also guess that new NAS is local.

Found reason.

GUI, “settings”, if change blocksize there… it touch ALL backupworks. This was my error. So if change “default blocksize” from settings, it touch also OLD backup works also. My error was… I think “this is only for new and fresh, it leave old backup and don’t touch these.”

Yes, the whole backup has to use the same blocksize. There’s actually math done to map these blocks to their location in the file, and the math assumes a fixed block size except for final block.

So while you could probably get faster backup/restore in the future, I’m not sure how best fo get the move to the new NAS finished by catching up with whatever’s been changed on the old one.

What was the original plan? Was there a maintenance window intended, with no NAS use at all? Would downtime affect other users, or just you?

If the backup and restore actually involves a Windows computer with a hard drive doing a move between two NAS using hard drives and LAN connections to Windows computer with Duplicati, slowest spots might be the NAS or SMB. Basically, Source (and restore target) is slow while the Destination is fast. Duplicati is designed for the other case, where Duplicati is on Source system backing up to a potentially slow Destination. There is an optimization on Restore which looks for Source data that can be copied, in order to avoid downloads from Destination. Turn that off with.

no-local-blocks

Duplicati will attempt to use data from source files to minimize the amount of downloaded data. Use this option to skip this optimization and only use remote data.

which I see was posted earlier to a different user, but might be the cause of delay in your restore.

I was wondering how NAS migrations are usually done. It looks like at least Synology provides a migration tool that handles it all, probably quickly, and it sounds like it even does the final refresh.

Synology also seems to include rsync. I don’t know quite how. Maybe they give you an easier UI.

Running Duplicati directly on a NAS is sometimes possible, but ports don’t exist for some, and a NAS CPU and memory is sometimes pretty minimal on a low end NAS. Higher end might suffice.

Synology can no longer install Duplicati directly (they restricted DSM), but Docker could be used.