Duplicati on Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2

I have before Duplicati 2.0.3.3_beta on Windows 2008 Server Standard SP2 and it was running fine backing up files for the last 2 years. Lately, I decided to upgrade to v2.0.5.104 via duplicati’s update notification. However, the current version will not run on the above-mentioned OS since it requires .NET Framework 4.6.2 or higher. Windows 2008 Server Standard SP2 can only support .Net Framework upto 4.6 if am not mistaken.

I reverted back to 2.0.3.3_beta uninstalling everthing following uninstall procedures and even deleting any reference of duplicati in the registry. However, the 2.0.3.3_beta executables will no longer run since a pop-up requiring .NET Framework 4.6.2 to be installed first.

I am confused why the 2.0.3.3 now requires .NF 4.6.2 when it was running fine before. Are there any registry references that have to be removed to resolve this issue? Is there a workaround to address this issue? I tried 2.0.3.4 but still the executables (ie. Duplicati.Windowserver.exe) wont run since it will require .NF 4.6.2

I have other Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 PCs installled with 2.0.3.3 and its running fine. any thoughts on this matter?

Thank you

When you use this method to update, it does something a bit unexpected to most people. Instead of updatinng the main program files, it puts the updated binaries in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Duplicati\updates. When you run Duplicati using the binaries in C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2, it will search this updates folder for a newer version and relaunch itself.

I would try fully uninstalling Duplicati (from Control Panel, Programs & Features). After it’s removed, delete the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Duplicati\updates folder. Finally do a fresh install of Duplicati 2.0.3.3 using an MSI file downloaded from the web site. Make sure you set it up the same as before (running as a regular user process vs running as a service, etc).

And yes you seem to be correct that Server 2008 (non-R2) only supports up to .NET 4.6. You need at least Server 2008 R2 to get newer versions of .NET.

Thank for your reply drwtsn32. The issue I am getting is now resolved following your guide. Duplicati is now happily backing up my files on win2008 server standard (non r2).

I believe this behaviour may have been resolved already by the current version of duplicati. But if not, this may be worth considering in the future versions.

Do you mean the .NET requirement? It was upped to 4.6.2 recently and I doubt that will be changed, but I am not sure. I would expect that releases going forward will still require Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7 or newer.

Glad your immediate issue is resolved!

I’d note that both of those reached Microsoft’s end of extended support on 1/14/2020, but should be capable of running Duplicati 2.0.5.1 Beta because the .NET Framework can be new enough for it…

.NET Framework system requirements

There was at one time a wish for an even newer .NET Framework (for good technical reasons), but compromise was .NET Framework 4.6.2 which matches mono version 5. .NET Framework will stop progress forward (but will still be otherwise maintained) at 4.8 says Microsoft. Future will be .NET 5.

1 Like

Just a though wherein Duplicati will be able to assess first the software pre-requisites (i.e. minimum .NET Version or other components) before the “Update to the latest version” option is presented from within the Web Console.

In my case, the “Update” option was presented eventhough my OS and .net Version does not warrant for an update to the latest version. Perhaps the next “workable version” may be presented as an option.