Duplicati not starting on MacOS Monterey 12.3 on M1

I don’t think there’s any standard, and as for Mac specifics, I’ll leave advice to the two Mac experts.

EDIT: There’s already some automated testing done, so your focus IMO should be on Mac things…
In theory things like backup and restore weren’t changed and should still work, but test as you wish.

EDIT 2:

and thanks for test. Because the person doing code commits doesn’t do Mac, hands-on really helps.

The code change really only affects the menu bar icon—it uses native code to show it (via Xamarin AppKit) rather than Python. It doesn’t change the code that does backups or the installer or anything else like that. So I guess mainly test the tray icon.

If anything does seem broken with backup it’s probably the fault of whatever code is in the master branch, since my branch is based on the latest code there. And if there are install/dmg issues it’s probably to do with me having to figure out how to build the dmg locally, which I might not have done the best possible way.

Thanks for trying it out!

I was able to install the test build, no problem with the DMG, ejected perfectly fine on 12.6.2 Monterrey.
I didn’t do a clean install but rather replaced the canary version I was running. I’m able to launch it and the menu appears as intended. Whenever I click on Open though, I get a spinning beach ball forever and nothing happens, Duplicati menubar becomes not responding.

Thanks for the background. I understand how to test this now. I installed it fresh on 3 Macs (Intel and M1) and over an existing install on two Macs (M1). I tested the three menu bar entires (Open, Pause, Quit) on each one and it worked perfectly. This is ready to go from my perspective.

2 Likes

Seems to be good for a single user, Duplicati will load and run at login if added to the “Login items” in “General Settings” and works as expected. Just click the + and browse to /Applications/Duplicati to add it and it will launch at login.

I tried a few variations of the above linked net.duplicati.trayicon.plist along with net.duplicati.server.plist but I couldn’t get the trayicon to run. The Duplicati server would load properly (still from that users config) and was accessible via the GUI but the trayicon would not load. I’m probably missing something simple in the .plist but as it stands I can’t get the trayicon to work when Duplicati is running as a separate server. Probably not a huge issue for most but would still be nice to have as an option. I’ll do some more testing to see if I can’t figure why it’s not working.

Note about pausing, you can press pause but the actual pause will only occur at the next pause-able event, eg. press pause while “Processing Files” and it will continue until “Processing Files” is completed then will pause before moving on to the next event, likely “Verifying Backend Files” or “Compacting Files” This behavior was consistent between the trayicon and when using the GUI directly, as it should and either toggled the other and pauses took place when they should.