Duplicati Not Launching on Linux (NameResolutionFailure)

I uninstalled an old version of duplicati from many years ago and just installed duplicati (2.0.36), but it will not launch. It looked like the install went fine and I installed the necessary dependencies. When trying to launch, I receive the error message:

Request error: System.Net.WebException: Error: NameResolutionFailure
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Utility.AsyncHttpRequest+AsyncWrapper.OnAsync (IAsyncResult r) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Utility.AsyncHttpRequest+AsyncWrapper.OnAsync (IAsyncResult r) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Appreciate any help on what I can do to get it working. Let me know if other info is needed.

A few users have reported this “NameResolutionFailure” error and they’ve pretty much always been related to something with DNS in whatever environment Duplicati was running.

Can you share what you’re running Duplicati 2.0.3.6 on?

Oh - and do you recall if the “old version” was Duplicati 1? If so - just in case you don’t already know, Duplicati 2 uses an entirely different backup process so backups made with one are not usable with the other.

(By the way, I edited your post by putting “~~~” around your error message to help it stand out better.)

Linux Mint 17.1, 64-bit.
Yes, it was version 1, not planning on restoring any of those.

Have you tried an nslookup localhost as mentioned here?

I’m confused, why is it trying to call the duplicati server? If I make a local backup, just a local drive should be involved. if a cloud backup, then the cloud provider, but in either case it seems like some sort of privacy issue if the duplicati server also needs to be involved?

I added line “127.0.0.1 localhost” to the hosts file, and now duplicati opens in a web browser, but I am getting a lot of error messages. Eg:

(firefox:14883): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(firefox:14883): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(firefox:14883): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(firefox:14883): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

I did not proceed further in the browser because I am wondering if I need to fix the above. They seem to be related to firefox, but firefox is not even my default browser. Is there a way to switch the browser that duplicati uses?

In this case the Duplicati server is running on your machine - it’s not something living on the internet.

When you run Duplicati basically starting a local “server” that does most of the work (watches queues for when to start backups, actually run the backups, etc.). When you use the GUI to connect to the service / daemon it’s really just passing instructions to this service.

If you run the tray-icon, it starts the “server” (unless you tell it not to) AND starts the tray-icon.

I’ve not seen those errors before - I assume they’re coming out of a Firefox console?

I always assumed the tray-icon used the default OS browser, but I never confirmed that. For now I’d suggest you just open the browser you want to use and going to http://localhost:8200/.

Personally, I just use a bookmark in my browser rather than the tray-icon.