Duplicati change for commercial purposes

Hello everyone
(sorry for my bad English)

I ask the Duplicati team, is it possible to modify / customize the Duplicati software for my startup?

We could become a partner and we would pay you a contribution per installation, is it possible ?

I work in a small startup in Belgium and we would like to develop a solution similar to Duplicati, but Duplicati already has everything we need.

thank you

Welcome to the forum!

Yes it is. Duplicati is Open Source, you can build your own version.
It’s also possible to white label the official duplicati package:

The GNU Lesser General Public License allows to use Duplicati commercially and ask money for it, so there’s no need to pay contribution.
Oh… Before I forget: We love money! If you like Duplicati (and maybe earn some money with it), consider a donation:

Great to hear that you want to work with Duplicati commercially. Here is what it says on the Duplicati homepage:

Duplicati is free software and open source. You can use Duplicati for free even for commercial purposes. Source code is licensed under LGPL. Duplicati runs under Windows, Linux, MacOS. It requires .NET 4.5 or Mono.

So I suppose the important part for you is the LGPL (GNU Lesser General Public License) which allows you to use Duplicati code even in proprietary software but with the requirement that the source code must be available. (I am not a lawyer, so you need to check the details with the experts).

Having said that, it would be great if your startup could work with the Duplicati developers in a way that will also benefit the development of duplicati :slight_smile:

Thank you for your answers :slight_smile:

I appreciate your spontaneity :slight_smile:

You confirm what I thought about the use of Duplicaty.

The problem is that we are very little proficient in Windows development (Beurk) …

My idea, is this:

Is it possible for you to compile a Duplicaty with the logo of our startup so that I make a presentation to my boss? So I could ask him to give you a donation :slight_smile:

You have to know that he is ready to pay for a “proprietary” solution. But with my colleague, we try that he changes his mind towards open source :slight_smile:

I would just like Duplicati to become Technis, just in terms of logos (during installation and use), the arrangement and the colors remain the same.

Thank you a thousand times

You can try this to get started:

• Download and extract the Zip version of Duplicati.
  • Browse to the folder webroot\oem\ngax\scripts, located under the Duplicati folder that you just extracted.
  • You will find a small placeholder file named oem.js. Open this file with a text editor and paste the following text to it:
backupApp.service('OEMService', function(MyBrandingService) {});
backupApp.service('MyBrandingService', function(BrandingService) {
	BrandingService.state.appName = "Technis";
	BrandingService.state.appSubtitle = "Offered by Nicola Battistini"
});

thank you so much for your reply

Thank you for this detailed procedure.

I have just modified the file oem.js

What should I do next?

Hello kees-z,

I just tested, (by Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon) and it works well :-)!

I have the name of our company that appears.

The idea pleases us.

As I told you I’m not a developer … I would like a ready solution to distribute to our customers.

Just for updates to your software updates, we prefer to be maintained by professionals. And to make the solution easy to use for our customers.

I do not want to give them a .zip file but rather an executable file so that it is easy to install Duplicati / Technis.

I have two proposals:

1. You provide us with a finished executable Duplicati / Technis product (with logo) all prepared.

2. Either you give us the procedure to arrive at the same result. For me there is no problem, if it is not too complicated :slight_smile:

In both cases we will give you donations, no worries :slight_smile:

I do not want to give them a .zip file but rather an executable file so that it is easy to install Duplicati / Technis.

We would like to contact you to arrange an arrangement, can we have an email?

Hope to contribute to our partnership.

Thank you already for everything
Suggérer une modification

Hello kees-z,

I just tested, (by Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon) and it works well :-)!

I have the name of our company that appears.

The idea pleases us.

As I told you I’m not a developer … I would like a ready solution to distribute to our customers.

Just for updates to your software updates, we prefer to be maintained by professionals. And to make the solution easy to use for our customers.

I have two proposals:

You provide us with a finished executable Duplicati / Technis product (with logo) all prepared.

Either you give us the procedure to arrive at the same result. For me there is no problem, if it is not too complicated :slight_smile:

In both cases we will give you donations, no worries :slight_smile:

We would like to contact you to arrange an arrangement, can we have an email?

Hope to contribute to our partnership.

Thank you already for everything

A post was split to a new topic: Commercial customization - limited destinations?