Duplicati 2 vs. Duplicacy 2

Well, this is probably my final test with the Evernote folder, and some results were strange, and i really need your help to understand what happened at the end…

Some notes:

Upload and time values were obtained from the log of each software.

Duplicati:
bytes uploaded = “SizeOfAddedFiles”
upload time = “Duration”
Duplicacy:
bytes uploaded = “bytes uploaded” in log line “All chunks”
upload time = “Total running time”

Rclone was used to obtain the total size of each remote backend.

In the first three days I used Evernote normally (adding a few notes a day, a few kb), the result was as expected:

graph01

graph02

graph03

BUT, this is the first point I didn’t understand:

1) How does the total size of Duplicacy backend grows faster if daily uploading is smaller (graph 1 x graph 2)?

Then on 26th I decided to organize my tags in Evernote (something I already wanted to do). So I standardized the nomenclature, deleted obsolete tags, rearranged, etc. That is, I didn’ t add anything (bytes), but probably all the notes were affected.

And the effect of this was:

graph04

graph05

graph06

That is, something similar to the first few days, just greater.

Then, on day 27, I ran an internal Evernote command to “optimize” the database (rebuild the search indexes, etc.) and the result (disastrous in terms of backup) was:

(and at the end there are the other points for which I would like your help to understand)

graph07

graph08

graph09

2) How could Duplicati upload have been so small (57844) if it took almost 3 hours?

3) Should I also consider the “SizeOfModifiedFiles” Duplicati log variable?

4) If the last Duplicati upload was so small, why the total size of the remote has grown so much?

5) Why did Duplicacy last upload take so long? Was it Dropbox’s fault?

I would like to understand all these doubts because this was a test to evaluate the backup of large files with minor daily modifications, and the real objective is to identify the best way to backup a set of 20Gb folders with mbox files, some with several Gb , others with only a few kb.

I look forward to hearing from you all (especially @kenkendk).

(P.S.: Also posted on the Duplicacy forum)

2 Likes