Depend on finished jobs

Hello.

Is it possible to schedule jobs to run, when another job is done?

The only way I have found to do this is via a command line tool called “duplicati_client” which you can find mentioned elsewhere on the forum, and use the after scripts to run the job.

I really hope with the current changes to Duplicati they’ll finally add the ability to run jobs by their ID using the native command-line tools, as duplicati_client is on “low priority support” by the developer so it’s possible the new work on Duplicati could break it. Currently all you can do export the jobs as command-lines but this is means having to remember to change them any time the original job changes, plus I think it exposes any credentials.

Welcome to the forum @Svend_Age_Brink

How complex is the dependency? The most documented way to do something after a backiup is to use Scripting options such as run-script-after. See Example Scripts. Script might use command line though.

Export As Command-line can help with that. You can, of course, do a series of jobs from a single script.

Credential exposure in scripts can be handled somewhat by access permissions on the script, or by a parameters-file, or possibly even by passing in from a run-script-before (done as securely as you wish).

A simple schedule can also sometimes be done by relying on Duplicati server only running one at once. Second job waits, and runs when first is done. Challenge is setting order of missed schedule jobs, and seemingly it’s top to bottom on the job screen. It’s hard to change that order without a job export/import.

duplicati-client talks to the server, thus is subject to the same one-at-a-time rule. Command line can run several jobs at the same time, each independently of each other and of whatever server (if any) is doing.

Some previous discussion:

Complex backup sequence?
In what order does missed backup jobs run?
Change the sequence of backup jobs done

is sort of an unknown, but whatever it can add will presumably be a Duplicati Inc. add-on to the open core.