Default duplicati file permissions (Linux)

The default umask on Linux (at least the distros I’ve tried, mainly openSUSE) is 0022. Too few users know to change this.

This means that, by default, files and directories are created such that everyone on the system has the ability to browse everyone’s directories and read everyone’s files (but not create, change or delete files if both file and containing directory have the default permissions).

This is particularly a problem since Duplicati-server.sqlite stores a clear text password.

Should duplicati, duplicati-server and duplicati-cli be pro-active and set local duplicati files and directories so that only the owner has access?

Thanks.

1 Like

I have used mostly Debian based distros, and they usually prevent other users from reading each others home folders by default. This is enforced on the entry folder (/home/<username>), so it does not matter that the file itself is readable, because the path is not.

But yes, the files should only be readable by the user, and we should enforce it when the file is created.

How does one go about putting in a feature request so that this is queued up?

You can open an issue on Issues · duplicati/duplicati · GitHub. It might help if the package maintainers are made aware, but I think Kenneth might actually have made all the packaging scripts.

If you’re curious for a specific platform you can take a look here duplicati/Installer at master · duplicati/duplicati · GitHub, which has all the scripts and various files used to create the installers.