Creating an Azure storage container for Duplicati?

I just started using Duplicati for local backups to an external drive, but I’m interested in using it to back up to Azure blob storage as well. The Duplicati docs are pretty clear on how to set up Duplicati to work with Azure, but I’m not sure how to set up Azure to work with Duplicati.

Specifically, I’m not sure what “Account kind” to select — StorageV2 or BlobStorage (from the Azure docs, I suspect it doesn’t matter, but I’m not sure) — or whether to select Hot or Cold for the “Blob access tier” (it sounds like I may want Hot, because Cold charges for reads?). Also, is “Allow Blob public access” required? (I would guess not.)

So that’s a few things that I think I know the answer to, but would love to have an Duplicati+Azure expert confirm for me. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Welcome to the forum!

This shouldn’t matter. Storage v1, v2, and Blob Storage all worked for me in the past.

This depends. Hot storage has higher cost for the amount of data you’re storing, but lower transactional cost. Cool storage has lower cost for the amount of storage, but much higher transactional cost. If you choose Cool then you MAY want to disable certain features of duplicati, like compaction and backend test verification. These two things will download files from the back end storage, and if you’re using Cool storage you’ll incur additional costs.

Cool may be the better choice if you think you’ll rarely have to restore data.

Yeah turn off public access for sure.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

2 Likes