Constant "Found x remote files that are not recorded in local storage" errors

I’ve set up a new backup job that backs up to a network mount.
Every 2~3 times that job runs, I get this error: “Found x remote files that are not recorded in local storage, please run repair”.
Running repair does not work. The only solution that woks is deleting the database and recreating it.
Why is this happening?
I’ve already tried deleting all backups and starting from scratch, which did not help either.
edit: clarification: I’m running Duplicati on a fully updated Windows 10 machine, with a backup target of a network mounted HDD on another machine. Everything is fine in terms of hardware and power as far as I know.

that’s not very descriptive. I’d assume something sane, that is, from an up-to-date Windows computer to another up-to-date Windows computer on a LAN. Then it should work. You may have a serious hardware problem - check the 2 computers, power, whatever.
Any other meaning for ‘network mount’, you have better to change your config to use something more robust. Sftp is a good choice IMO.

You’re right, let me be more clear:

I’m running Duplicati on a fully updated Windows 10 machine, with a backup target of a network mounted HDD on another machine. Everything is fine in terms of hardware and power as far as I know.

This is still unclear. If the ‘another machine’ running up-to-date Windows ? and is the network a LAN ?

Sorry, the HDD is mounted on a raspberry pi, and the network is indeed a LAN. Both machines are connected to the LAN via network cable.

Am I to understand that it’s a Linuix compuiter running Samba ??? If yes, stop here. Configuring Samba reliably is HARD.

Ok, I agree that configuring Samba reliably is hard. But it’s not impossible. In fact I’ve been running this setup for 5+ years now and haven’t had a single problem with the network mount. Could we assume that it’s running reliably and try to find the actual problem with Duplicati or my backup config?

No. Smb protocol is not sane. You should not rely on Smb emulation for something like backups. I’d never ever consider it.

Ok, thank you very much!

Welcome to the forum @guaycuru

More information would help. Unfortunately, Duplicati doesn’t give all the details in default messages.

Does the backup get far enough to make a regular job log that names the extra files in the warnings?

Viewing the Duplicati Server Logs is another way to get info at About → Show log → Live → Warning
You can probably either start a backup (which will stop fast due to those) or try Verify files button.

When you find out the names of the extra files, see if they have the usual namings, and find the dates.
If it looks like Duplicati made them, look at the backup done at that time. Anything unusual about that?

If need be, use log-file=<path> and log-file-log-level=Information (or higher) to watch uploads and fails.

your’re welcome :slight_smile:
To expand a bit: there is no reason a specific software is using the Smb Applications Interface (API) 100% the same way as standard software interfacing file access usually through Explorer-like interface. That’s the only method that is really tested and validated by vendors (including open source projects).
My convictions come from trying one time to make Windows backup on a Linux-based NAS, and learning the hard way that Windows backup does NOT just open and write files, but is using some very specific part of the colossal SMB Api.
Some NAS may work, other not. And it’s not necessarily the new and shiny NAS that work correctly with Windows backup, while all work fine with Explorer and Office applications (when no VPN are involved at least - when delays are introduced all sort of bad things can happen).

You aren’t targeting more than one backup job to this exact location, are you?

1 Like

@drwtsn32 I was about to answer “no, of course I’m not targeting more than one backup job to this exact location” but decided to double check and voilà. I was indeed accidentally targeting two backup jobs to the same exact location!
I just fixed it and will monitor for a couple of days but I’m pretty sure the error should go away!
Thank you!

2 Likes

Yep, that was the reason, you nailed it, thank you @drwtsn32 !

1 Like