Connection to server lost. How to fix?


#1

I am running Duplicati 2.0.2.1_beta_2017-08-01 on Windows 10 x64, using Chrome as GUI, and backing up to Google drive. I keep getting errors saying that the connection to the server is lost. This always pops up soon after I log into the GUI. The errors in the console say ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED and Missing XSRF Token. This just started happening today when I noticed emailed failure reports, with the error “Found 1 files that are missing from the remote storage, please run repair”.

I was running an older version (from March 2017) and updated to 2.0.2.1 today to try to fix the problem, but it persists. My internet connection is fine, and I managed to test the connection to Google drive and it reports success.

I’ve tried to upload a screenshot of the errors.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

(I get the same sort of errors in Internet Explorer.)


#2

The XSRF message is indicates an issue with the process that makes sure the communication between the GUI (your web browser) and the Duplicati server (whether running as a service or the Tray-Icon).

The “connection refused” message is just the server saying “I don’t recognize you so I’m not going to talk to you”.

If you get an XSRF message do you just click OK and keep using the window (not a good idea) or do you refresh the page until you DON’T get the XSRF message (good idea)?


#3

There is nowhere to click OK (the “Connecting…” button shown on the screenshot is not clickable). So I keep refreshing the page and re-logging into the GUI. But I still keep getting the error (every single time I refresh, going on at least a dozen now).

Also, in my configuration, Duplicati is running in the background, and I am getting emailed fatal errors even without the GUI being active (in fact I’m logged off the computer entirely). The error is pasted below. When I try to log in to run repair, I get these constant XSRF errors that prevent me from doing pretty much anything in the GUI.

Details: Duplicati.Library.Interface.UserInformationException: Found 1 files that are missing from the remote storage, please run repair
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.VerifyRemoteList(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile)
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PreBackupVerify(BackendManager backend, String protectedfile)
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String[] sources, IFilter filter)
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<Backup>b__0(BackupResults result)
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String[]& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)

#4

Do you have a password set up for your GUI?

So you have it set up to run as a service?

That indicates that Duplicati recorded that a file was saved to your destination but now it can’t find the file. It will be easier to figure this out once we can get into the GUI / logs.

Are you open to updating to a newer version of Duplicati (even if it’s canary instead of beta)? The XSRF problem was a known issue with versions around (and slightly after) yours but was greatly improved for a while and just recently (version 2.0.2.17+, I think) actually resolved (we hope).


#5

I do have a password set up for the GUI, and I do have Duplicati running as a service. I can try to turn off the password (I have a few seconds during which I can interact with the GUI before the error pops up) if you think it would help.

I’ll try installing the newer canary version tonight to see what happens.

Thanks for your help!


#6

I don’t know that removing the password will make a difference, but it should be simple enough to do for a quick test…

You’re welcome - sorry you’re having issues in the first place, hope the update goes smoothly!


#7

Looks like it’s working now. I installed the latest Canary version, and when it didn’t immediately work, I stopped the service and ran the GUI Tray version. That seemed to work fine, so I stopped that and restarted the service, and it seems everything is back to normal. So, some combination of new version and/or stopping and restarting the service (which I thought I did yesterday with the old version, but my memory is foggy), and also removing the GUI password, fixed the issue.

I’ve been delighted with Duplicati so far, aside from this little odd hiccup. Thanks to all you developers for providing it!


#8

Glad it’s working for you now, and you’re welcome!

I went ahead and flagged your post as the solution in case others run into this issue, please let me know if you disagree.