Case sensitivity regarding filenames

Is it true, Duplicati isn’t case sensitive regarding file names?
It does not recognize a renamed file as a new version, if only capitals and small letters have been exchanged. Example:

Create a file “dAILY nEWS.txt” and run a backup
→ a new version is created and restore files shows dAILY nEWS.txt

Then correct the spelling to “Daily News.txt” and run a new backup
→ no version is created and restore files shows dAILY nEWS.txt only.

Is there a way to include such changes?

Edit: Duplicati version 2.0.6.3_beta_2021-06-17 / Windows 10

Hello

I can’t repro on Win10 with Duplicati 105.

My Verison is 2.0.6.3_beta_2021-06-17 (I added to my post)

Try to do and check your changes in a terminal window, for example
cd yourdirectory
dir “dAILY nEWS.txt”
→ Should display “dAILY nEWS.txt”
do a backup

then

move “dAILY nEWS.txt” “Daily News.txt”
dir “dAILY nEWS.txt”
→ Should display “Daily News.txt”
and then redo a backup.

The behavior here on Windows 10 and Duplicati 2.0.6.106 is that it notices Explorer rename too –
if the backup gets to the file by having its containing folder configured. Direct config doesn’t notice.

Back home, I run a couple of tests:

1. The move-method did not change anything compared to rename (files with just a capital/minor change are not recognized as new).

2. I can confirm the rename directory test: that files get recognized as new, if the containing folder name has been recognized as new.

3. The folder test worked recursively: such kind of files deeper in the directory tree get recognized as new, even if only a higher level directory has been recognized as new.

I don’t know if this is a relevant hint, but may be worth a look:

Configure case sensitivity with Git:
git config core.ignorecase false

My file in unchanged containing folder had a rename noticed.

I don’t quite understand what you meant with folder vs. direct “config”?

By config I mean what you checked in the GUI – the file itself, or the folder that contains it.

I have a folder tree in my backup configiration, and the files in question are located deep in sub-sub directories.

This is interesting, because the case insensitivity of NTFS and the system level commands for file manipulation sould be normal Windows behaviour, since ever, and I nearly accepted to live with it. This is at least my conclusion from reading this:

You did’nt apply “fsutil.exe file setCaseSensitiveInfo enable” to your root folder, which is explained in this article, did you? Maybe a long time ago?

Just a guess. What else could explain the different behavour of our installations?

I have trouble reconciling this assertion with:

Now what has been tried by @ts678 and myself is running a test backup on a given directory and changing a file under this directory. It worked. Then after your first reply I think everyone assumed that the problem was when selecting a file direct from Duplicati (a corner case if there is one, absolutely not worth the effort to fix). And then you seem to imply the reverse, that a file changed under a directory included in Duplicati don’t trigger a backup. I don’t get it. What’s the deal with WSL ? you are not doing some mixing up Linux and Windows by any chance ? If yes, that’s a very significant detail that you forgot to mention in your initial post.

Can you create a test backup with one directory and one file under it, no WSL, and post the results of doing a backup, preferably by exporting the job as command line and run it from a terminal window, add

–dry-run --console-log-level=verbose

to the command and just post the output, not the actual command line if you prefer to keep the connection details to yourself.

I very much doubt it. Here’s my current test area:

C:\backup source\case>fsutil.exe file queryCaseSensitiveInfo "C:\backup source\case"
Case sensitive attribute on directory C:\backup source\case is disabled.

C:\backup source\case>dir /b
daily news.txt

I tested a tiny test backup, with zero advanced options. Please do so.

One suspect from advanced options that completely changes how changes in files are detected is:

usn-policy

This setting controls the usage of NTFS USN numbers, which allows Duplicati to obtain a list of files and folders much faster.

and for me, using USN results in a failure to notice rename even if a containing folder is configured.
Possibly other configuration differences exist, so either start simple then get complex, or vice versa.

1 Like

Well, this should have been documented:

1 Like

If you mean specifically this part, then it would be worth finding out what it means and if it still holds:

Windows is thought of as case-insensitive but case-preserving, so in that spirit a backup should use case-sensitive change detection to preserve current case, even though either one works for access.

1 Like

@ts678
Well, I tried USN on a fresh Win11 VM and things are not pretty. Seems horribly bugged. I renamed the file 3 times and when restoring, Duplicati is presenting 3 files :frowning:

Do you mean like below, which I got after turning on all-versions – and haven’t tested further than:

however I think most of this was without USN because USN wasn’t picking up the rename properly.
If you can describe your test steps, I can see if I can reproduce a similar problem - for investigation.

Thanks for the reply. No I never touched all-versions options. BTW, the fact that after picking a version (the first one in your case), Duplicati could display all versions should be considered a bug by itself. But I’m not sure that it is the case.

Anyway, what I did on a vanilla backup without any options (except picking a backend), was to rename a file in different ways with USN on. After my tests and seeing the display problems I have cited, I turned USN off and did a backup again. Here is the result for restoring the version 0:

restorev1

and preceding version:

restorev2

I did not change anything between the 2 screenshots, only selecting a different version.
Needless to say, the real situation on disk is in both cases the one displayed in version 0 (created without USN)

Problem is not reproducible with this minimal test case which tries to follow the given description:

select parent folder
USN on
database deleted
destination deleted
create dAILY nEWS.txt
backup (versions: 1)
rename DAILY nEWS.txt
backup (versions: 1)
USN off
rename DAILY NEWS.txt
backup (versions: 2)
check version 0 -- OK DAILY NEWS.txt
check version 1 -- OK dAILY nEWS.txt

Only oddity was that USN ignored the case change. This ideally gets fixed, or at least documented.
See any other differences between my steps and yours?