Can't access file even as root or in group

I’m trying to backup a directory, using Duplicati running in a docker container. It gives me “Failed to process path” on a few of the files that have restricted permissions.

Docker is giving duplicati uid 0 and gid 0, running “id” within the container returns “uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)”, and running “whoami” gives back “root”.

The files in question have g+r permission so duplicati running as root should have read access as both root user and root group. privileged: true in the container doesn’t change it.
-rw-rw---- 1 root root 167 Apr 5 22:51 auth.conf

The only way I found is giving chmod a+r to the files but then everything else can access them.

How to get duplicati to be able to read these?

[Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path

Hello and welcome!

Which Docker image are you using? The official Duplicati one, the LinuxServer one, or some other?

This is on linuxserver/duplicati

Yeah, I kind of figured. The linuxserver image is pretty aggressive about not running Duplicati as root. Sounds like you’ve tried to adjust it to get Duplicati to run as root, but maybe it’s not truly doing it. Can you run:

ps aux | grep mono

in the container to confirm?

Personally I use the official duplicati docker image which runs duplicati as root by default. If you switch note that some of the path mappings are different from the linuxserver image.