Can performance be improved?

Speeds are quite slow, starting at around 40MB/s and coming down to about 10MB/s rather quickly. This causes large backups to take ages.

These speeds are the same even if I have encryption disabled and --zip-compression-level=0. It also doesn’t matter which storage mediums I’m using (my source is an NVME SSD and the target is a separate NVME SSD).

Any recommendations?

Edit: Now that I look at the actual files in the backup, there are tens of thousands of small files that are better off being excluded from the backup.

Welcome to the forum @besweeet

Seen how? On initial backup or update? If update, what amount of files changes? Log example:

Are these changing much (a variation of above question)? If not, time difference would be in scan.
usn-policy can avoid the ordinary scan, but given usually fast SSD, you’d have to test it, if you like.
What OS is this, and does it have any performance tools to check on typical performance metrics?

How large is large? Is it initial or update? Try to set blocksize to use less than about a million blocks, because database operations slow dramatically on excess blocks. Default is good for about 100 GB.

How many cores on the CPU? There are two Advanced options to set concurrency. You could test.
There are some I/O and CPU priority controls, but I don’t know if you’d want to prioritize your backup.

During a backup, Duplicati is looking for files that changed (by folder scan or USN), reading files that changed to find the changes, then accumulating those for upload in (default) 50 MB remote volumes.

GUI shows what’s being read. If a path gets to 100% and sits, this is probably searching for next one. When a volume gets filled, it uploads, and I think first one is what begins upload speeds in status bar. Once uploads have begun, average speed declines until another volume fills up and gets uploaded…

You can see this live in the not-so-human-friendly About → System info Server state properties

lastPgEvent : {“BackupID”:“2”,“TaskID”:176,“BackendAction”:“Put”,“BackendPath”:“ParallelUpload”,“BackendFileSize”:47621623,“BackendFileProgress”:47621623,“BackendSpeed”:3366342,“BackendIsBlocking”:false,“CurrentFilename”:null,“CurrentFilesize”:0,“CurrentFileoffset”:0,“CurrentFilecomplete”:false,“Phase”:“Backup_WaitForUpload”,“OverallProgress”:0,“ProcessedFileCount”:5,“ProcessedFileSize”:102088889,“TotalFileCount”:6542,“TotalFileSize”:7911004076,“StillCounting”:false}

The Complete log in the job log has lots of stats on the source findings and the BackendStatistics.

Does “storage mediums” refer to destination? What else are you trying? Was SSD a speedup attempt?

1 Like

The speeds are via the status panel towards the top of the web UI. They’re also based on an initial backup of about 12.5GB. A separate 550GB backup took about three hours.

CPU is 3700X, so 8 cores / 16 threads.

The SSD was indeed a speedup attempt. Regardless of destination, the source was an NVME SSD. Whether the destination is set to a second NVME SSD in the system or a USB 3 HDD, speeds were identical.

I’ve concluded that it had to do with the sheer number of tiny temporary files that were included in the backup.

I feel like this can be marked as resolved.